Grazing on Raw?

karys3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My Gidget is about to be 7 months on October 3rd. I've had her since she was 3 months. She has been eating Rad Cat (chicken, turkey) for about 2 of the 4 months I've had her.

She took right to it and didn't even have tummy issues from the change.

This last week or so, Gidget has become a grazer again so I could use some guidance. She gets about 1/4 cup in the morning. I leave it out for an hour now as she doesn't finish this portion like she did a month ago.

She gets another 1/4 to 1/2 cup in the evening. This is currently split to 2 or 3 feedings. Because, even though she eats nothing for the 10 or so hours I'm gone each day, she suddenly won't just eat a meal. She wants to nibble, play, nibble, play, nibble.

My biggest question is how long can I leave a 1/2 cup warmed serving of Rad Cat out before it's dangerous?

My secondary question is, is there an alternative food I can leave out so she can graze again? Is it even necessary?

Head's up folks! I'm not a cat person. I have no clue what I'm doing. The up side of that is Gidget learned to fetch a ball at a young age!

TIA

Kary

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving raw out for more than half an hour or so. Some people use a freezer pet bowl (Frosty Bowl)  to keep raw food out longer but personally I still worry.

Try feeding smaller portions of raw for each meal time and leave freeze dried raw or air dried raw out for snacking on. Or canned food in a programmable feeder.

I don't leave any food out for my cats and they're ok with going 12-14 hours between breakfast and dinner.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS3, I use RC and about 30 minutes would be my comfort zone for the food to be left out. Actually, I don't like to waste food so I serve in small portions, stand there and watch Mikey eat; I don't over-serve but if I do, it goes right back into the refrigerator, esp RC since it's so expensive.

FD is a bit different, I've left a bit out and the cats will eat it up until one hour and seem okay with that.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the frosty bowlz and leave food out for several hours. I live in desert too so my house is always around 80 degrees in the summer months. No issues. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karys3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I solved the problem! I'm just too mellow is all.

When we get up in the morning I waggle a feather, mouse or other such "on a stick" for the first little bit while I have my coffee. Then she gets her breakfast. Eats it all right up!

I come home from work and instead of feeding right away, we play first. At least an hour between when I get home and when I feed her. Eats it right up!

Who knew?!
That was easy. :clap::clap::clap::clap: