(GRAPHIC PHOTO) large hole in cat’s neck

froggielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m very new but it’s an emergency and any advice would be appreciated.

I have a cat, Billy, she’s 12. Recently, she’s been acting very lethargic and strange so my family and I kept an eye on her and realized she had a huge swell under her chin. We were going to take her to an emergency vet (I’d take her myself, but I’m unemployed and don’t have my own car) but the swell popped and she now has this giant hole in her neck. The photo attached is from yesterday, and earlier today the hole looked much better but now it’s gotten even bigger. It grew from about the size of a quarter, to a quarter and a half and it’s starting to expand up to her chin.

Does anyone know what I can do? My family is very unsympathetic and unwilling to help and I’m asking around with friends, but what can I do in the meantime to help? She’s much better and she’s been eating and drinking like normal, but I’m afraid it’s gotten infected with some kind of flesh-eating bacteria and don’t have much time before it gets worse.
FAF1B379-2239-4D90-858F-2F682F108E00.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Keep your cat inside. You can try using a warm washcloth to try to warm compress the area if she will let you. Other than that, she really needs to see a veterinarian for proper cleaning and antibiotics. I wouldn't try to clean it with anything but warm water.
Maybe tomorrow you can find a place that will help with vet costs.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like she had an abscess which has now burst. She will need antibiotics to help it heal. Does she have a regular vet? Some vets will have payment plans where you can pay back the money you owe for treatment when you can afford to.

Antibiotics won't be that expensive, but if you don't get her seen quickly she may end up needing more expensive care.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If she will let you, carefully clip the hair around it. If the hair gets into it it will irritate it.

I agree with the others, it looks pretty angry and if it's getting worse as you say she really needs an antibiotic and a pain killer from the vet. These things need a prescription and only a vet can give you one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

froggielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone that replied! I was in a little bit of a panic and reaching out wherever I could. Billy is doing great and is almost on her last round of antibiotics, she didn’t even need stitches.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your cat is on the way to healing :) Did the vet diagnose what caused the swelling which then ruptured and turned into the wound?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

froggielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Nothing official. She got out a couple of days before I noticed the bump which turned into the wound, so we theorized she probably got into a fight with another cat, it got infected, then turned into what it did. The vet also said she could’ve gotten stuck somewhere or jabbed with something. There’s really no telling at this point though.