Grannicks Bitter Apple Spray

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Does anybody have experience with the grannicks bitter apple spray? It says for dogs on the bottle but was wondering if I could use it on electrical cords to prevent my kitten from chewing. We have too many to cover them. Also bought on ssscat to try but probably need the spray too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used the spray on some Christmas decorations that Rocket kept trying to eat. It seemed to work, or she got smarter about letting me see her eat it. It was one of those "no better choice" situations and what I could find did say it was safe.

I did see a warning that some cats like how it tastes and it encourages them to eat more of whatever it is sprayed on. Luckily, that wasn't my experience.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used it with dogs and cats and it always was effective. If it is working properly, the point should be that it repels the animal almost immediately; not that they necessarily keep chewing and decide much later that they did not like the taste. My cats hate citrus....if I left an orange peel on the floor they would probably not enter the room. However, they should not ingest citrus, just in case someone liked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I ended up buying some and spraying wires. I also put some on my finger and she turned away when I put it up to her nose so hopefully that means she doesn't like it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I ended up buying some and spraying wires. I also put some on my finger and she turned away when I put it up to her nose so hopefully that means she doesn't like it!
Fingers crossed it does the trick and she stays away from the electrical cords! :crossfingers:

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found that for my cord-chewing cat, it worked well when it was still wet, but once it dried, she would chew again. It smells like rubbing alcohol when fresh, so I think that may be what she reacted to. However, once that volatile alcohol dissapated, it didn't faze her a bit.