Grain-free Dry With Glucosamine?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok hivemind--Geneva (and I, as her personal shopper) need halp.
20181204_144811.jpg
Facebook.com/GenevaKitty

My special white-eared gal Geneva is 14 and suffers from arthritis & IBD. Grains make her LiquiPoo™ all over the apartment. And when her arthritis is hurting bad, she also opts to not use the box then either... (Oh and her first owner declawed her, so she's also super anxious in general, which leads to more box issues... Let's not even get into that aspect right meow because she's pretty good if her IBD and Arthritis are at least being treated--But suffice it to say, it really gets less than fun around here at times, lemme tell ya.) :sigh:

ANYHOO, she was really loving her Seaflex glucosamine treats for a month or so, and I could clearly see she wasn't hurting as much--But, being a cat, suddenly she isn't as fond of the treats anymore. :rolleyes:
So I tried the Cosequin capsules that can be sprinkled over wet food, which made her not eat whatever wet food it was on. :frustrated:
There's no way to pill her without making her anxiety issues worse. (and with her anxiety, my clothes and bed and carpeting are all her litter box)

So I'd really like to find a grain-free dry that has glucosamine in it. But I haven't been able to find any! Does anyone know one?
Also I'm kind of picky about brands (a dollar is a vote), but I'll probably be willing to set aside my "purse-ful protests" if it helps my gal live her best senior life. :hearthrob:

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Can you just give her a capsule ? That would seem the cheapest and easy way ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
~ Can you just give her a capsule ? That would seem the cheapest and easy way ...
If you wanna volunteer to give an angst-ridden senior cat who pees/poos in times of distress a pill every day.... Well, I always keep plenty of good beer in the fridge, come on over. :)

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you break up and mix the seaflex treats with her wet food? It's not as if they disgust her, right? She's just bored of them on their own?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you break up and mix the seaflex treats with her wet food? It's not as if they disgust her, right? She's just bored of them on their own?
Yeah I've been sneaking them into her dry and she's eating a small amount of them, but she picks around them in the wet food. She's supposed to have 5 a day for the right dose, I'd estimate she's eating maybe 2 a day in the dry at most. (I kinda count the remaining crumbs haha)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
So many dry foods with glucosamine, and so many grain-free dry foods.... Why on earth are these two things so hard to find together? I don't get it.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Can you get a bigger dose in powder form ? I see
Glucosamine for people in gelatin caps you can open ....
OOPS ! I forgot you work in pharmacy . :paperbag:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I think blue buffalo has a line of senior cat food that has glucosamine and chondroitin mixed in: Healthy Cat Food Product Finder | Blue Buffalo
I don't know enough about ingredients to be able to figure out the dosage included, but they do advertise these foods that way on their website.

Edit: This one looks closest to what you are looking for - Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet K+M Kidney + Mobility Support Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 7-lb bag
I'd have to get a prescription to buy it.
Mayhaps next check-up I could ask for that.
Thanks! I don't generally support Blue Buffalo but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
~ Can you get a bigger dose in powder form ? I see
Glucosamine for people in gelatin caps you can open ....
OOPS ! I forgot you work in pharmacy . :paperbag:
Yeah I tried the capsules that can be opened and sprinkled on food, she wouldn't eat the food it was on. Womp!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
So I tried the Cosequin capsules that can be sprinkled over wet food, which made her not eat whatever wet food it was on. :frustrated:
I don’t mean to ask an insulting question, but just to clarify...are you sprinkling the Cosequin over the top of the food or mixing it in? My two seniors get Cosequin and after I stir it in completely even Miss No-I-Won’t-Eat-That (aka Iris) eats it with no problem. :)

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, we feed our cats Farmina's Natural and Delicious. It has both dry and wet grain free options and has glucosamine in it :)
We tried, formulas with chicken, fish, lamb, they love ALL.
Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - N&D Grain-Free Feline

Also you can try crushing glucosamine pills into powder and then mixing it 2-3 drops of water just to obtain a toothpaste-like consistency. Then you can add a bit of paste she likes like hairball paste, vitamin paste, tuna juice etc… to make it more palatable, and then just let her lick it from your finger or gently put it into her mouth from your finger.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If pilling her makes her anxiety and stress worse, I myself wouldn't put her through that just for glucosamine chews or pills, or even just a powder that could dissuade an elderly or older cat from eating their favorite foods.

From what I understand from my cat's ortho surgeon, all of that glucosamine and chondroitin supplementation (1) takes several months of use before it even can start to have a positive effect, and (2) doesn't even work on many cats that are experiencing more severe pain from arthritis or injuries... for the latter, a few varieties of anti-inflammatories and/or pain killer meds are much more helpful with pain control and comfort level.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t mean to ask an insulting question, but just to clarify...are you sprinkling the Cosequin over the top of the food or mixing it in? My two seniors get Cosequin and after I stir it in completely even Miss No-I-Won’t-Eat-That (aka Iris) eats it with no problem. :)
Oh gosh I'm not insulted, I sprinkled the capsules on, and then stirred it in when I added the warm water (old gal loves a good soup) :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm not insulted, I sprinkled the capsules on, and then stirred it in when I added the warm water (old gal loves a good soup) :)
Oh, well. It was worth a try!