Grain Free Cat Food (that's not crazy expensive.)

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Pinkdagger's suggestions, along with Sheba! Friskies pates aren't "grain free" (They do have rice) but they're a good, cheap choice too and personally I don't see rice as any worse for a cat than potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, ect which are in a lot of the more expensive brands. Jm2c though. Grreat Choice is the main staple in our household but I do keep eyes out for sales and use coupons whenever possible to keep a good variety of foods on hand. I feed canned and dry. Canned goes down in the mornings with extra water added and dry goes down at night. I rotate wet and dry foods. Wet is rotated daily through my stock and dry every bag or two. Right now they're eating Authority Grain Free Chicken with a little Purina Cat Chow (green bag) mixed in to stretch it. Everyone does really well on this. (4 cats) Before that was Iams Original Chicken. Before that was Merrick Purfect Bistro Chicken, before that was Authority Turkey (sensitive stomach line, I picked it solely for the fact it has more meat and lower carbs than the other formulas), before that was Blue Buffalo of some sort I believe...You get the picture. ;) I'm not quite as anal about food as some folks. I try to keep the carbs in the kibble no more than 35% and the canned food I like to be mostly grain, fruit and veggie free which Fancy Feast Classics, Sheba pates and Grreat Choice pates meet those qualities for me. Friskies pate would meet it if it wasn't for the rice but I let that slide because it's still fairly low in carbs and it fits well in my budget. Food really comes down to budget and comfort level really. Some folks are hardcore about their food choices and others (like me lol) are just thankful they can afford something decent to feed their cats and share more meals with more cats. :D

Good luck with your new kitties! I adore Ragdolls, such lovely cats. Please be sure to post some pictures when you get them. :)

Last edited:

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Canidae Life Stages Indoor Adult Cat Food is what I feed my cat (they have non-indoor as well); chicken is the #1 ingredient, though it does have some rice. Petfoodratings gave it 4/5 stars and only two "$" signs, meaning it's in the second cheapest category but one of the top in quality (it was the only 4/5 stars with less than three "$" signs, most had four).

Also, before you buy a ton of grain-free food, make sure your cat will actually eat it. I've seen a LOT of reviews from cat owners saying their cat won't eat the non-grain food. I agree its healthier for them, but only if they're willing to eat it!

I began looking into higher quality food after my first cat I had began having digestive issues WAY too young. Had to switch up her diet, but I kind of went overboard and bought the most expensive wet food I could find. This time around, I did a bit of research.