Got new kittens, resident cat not taking it well

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got 2 new kittens, and one of the current kitties isn't really taking them too well. We've had the kittens for almost a month now. Gizmo (the problem cat) is still hissing and very afraid of them. They're getting acquainted with the other cats very well. I know its harder to introduce them as they get older, so I don't want to put it off because he's scared. I don't want to rush it either and push him into any uncomfortable situations where it might make the aggression and fear worse. I have gone through all the steps about them having their own rooms and exchanging smells and letting them see each other through a baby gate over the month that we've had them. Should I just keep trying, or is there anything else I can do to ease the process for him? I'm not concerned about the kittens being scared, they're very confident with other cats.

Tldr; Cat is scared of kittens, introduction not going well, any better way to do it/tips?

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am no cat expert, in fact quiet the opposite as I have only owned my first kitty's for nearly 2 weeks. However I did see that on 'My Cat from Hell' Jackson Galaxy would do things like feed them as close to each other as possible without any upset and then he would very slowly repeat this at closer distances. He would also sometimes engage a cat in play while the other was able to watch etc, the cats got so engrossed in the activities and started to associate the other cat with positive things and eventually were able to accept each other.
Now as to if you can apply this with kittens and an older cat I don't know. hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon. As its very different to read and watch about these things and actually do them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its bad to wait too long since true kittens are close to never actually attacked with intent to injure by adult cats. If you wait long enough, not sure how long that is, but at some point as they get close to six months, the kittens are no longer perceived as kittens and lose that protection. So you put a true kitten with an adult cat, the adult cat may hiss, run, hide, do a "get away swat" or if you are unlucky a "get away charge" but they don't attack with intent to injure (or almost never anyway - we get people afraid they are the exception on this site, but I have never read of an actual injury). This means that generally they can work things out, or at least that things will improve some over time. Sometimes if the kitten is fearless and unwilling to take "no" as an answer to playing, it can take longer, but this isn't necessarily fixable by an introduction. An introduction is for "stranger danger" and "I don't want to be jumped on" can be a separate problem. Personally, I don't think I'd go longer than a month for an introduction process with a true kitten and an adult cat, *unless* the adult was showing signs of extreme stress like not eating, using the litter box or hot spots even with the kitten locked away. I wouldn't want to go longer then that unless absolutely necessary, so as to preserve as much as possible of the remaining safe zone time period where actual fighting with intent to injure is off the table. It gets tricky if you let the adult cat interact and it seems to want to charge the kitten -- although I've never read of an actual injury, that is so scary looking that people tend to back up and continue the introduction. But short of that or extreme stress, a month should be long enough.

Here is our guide for introductions:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Gizmo hissing at both of the kittens? How old are the kittens? How old is Gizmo? Everybody is neutered? You also said there are other cats that get along with the kittens. Is there somewhere you can gate off Gizmo where he can see the other cats play with the kittens and maybe see that it’s ok? Does Gizmo hiss at the other cats after they have been around the kittens? I guess that’s enough questions! Adult cats will not usually harm kittens but they will communicate with them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gizmo is hissing only at the kittens (yes both), he's not hissing at the others after they interact with the kittens. He acts fine after I interact with them as well. He doesn't seem concerned at all after I snuggle with them and have their scent all over me. They are 3 months now I believe. Gizmo is turning 8 in August. Gizmo is neutered, and were taking one of the kittens to get neutered soon. The other kitten is a girl.
He actually watches them through a cat door, and he gets very stressed anytime he sees them, even if they're just on the couch (which is quite far from him/his door).
He's not aggressive with them, just terrified. We brought one of them into the room before for him to see her better, and Gizmo backed up into the corner and got all poofy.
Does it make a difference at all that they're black cats? The closest thing Gizmo has seen to a black animal is our tuxedo cat.
He's not really motivated by food, or anything of the sort to get him more comfortable around the kittens. He's not a real fan of the other cats, and he'll wait for them to finish eating before he does. Hes not aggressive with them though, and hell be next to them without any problems if he has to.
If I missed any questions, sorry! Just ask again and I can answer them. <3 ^^;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bit of an update: Been doing things as suggested, letting them see each other through a baby gate, eating through a baby gate, exchaning smells, etc. The relationship is not improving. Gizmo is still growling and very angry with both of the kittens. He doesnt seem to be interested in attacking at all. He is only growling and hissing, but not approaching. He is not trying to get away either. He will just lay down wherever he is and start getting angry. Any other things I should be doing?