Got My 3 Year Old Neutered But He Still Hate Some Male Cats

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 days ago I got my 3 year old Leo neutered. Because im hoping with time he fight less. I always put him in my room to rest and stay away from my other cats roaming my house. Today I accidentally left the door open when im giving leo medicine, after I gave him medicine he runs through the house and fights with the cat that he hates the most ( his son Koke 8 months old ) . Is that because his hormones still active after neutering right?. He is always fighting my male cats for 3 months before that he was ok with them. I have set up a safe cage just for him to watch my other cats and can't get his hands out to paw. Is that the right approach?
He's already knows all my cats for 6 months but he began uncontrollably fighting especially with my male cats for 3 months so I got him neutered 2 days ago. I can neuter my other male cats but they don't fight as ferociously as Leo. Any advices to make a peaceful home

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the word is that it takes a month for all the hormones to go away, but it would be better to give it six weeks. All your male cats will be better off if they are neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok caging him to let him watch other cats is that good approach or let him stay away from them and do it after a month? But this way I'm afraid he will forget them lol

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you mean all the time? How large is the cage? Is there some way you can set up a small room for him? A bathroom or a small closet is fine. Or you can continue to keep him in your bedroom and set up something like a baby fence between his room and the rest of the house. That way, they can see each other but can't get to one another.

Also, there is a chance that he still wouldn't get along with your other cats after his hormones go away. Multo has been neutered since he was a kitten (14 years ago), and he still screams and becomes super wired whenever a stray gets into our yard. He'd try to fight them through the glass and will hiss, growl, and swat at you when you get close. Depending on how things go, you might end up having to slowly reintroduce him to your other cats again, like you would if you are introducing a new cat to your older cats.

Still, as DreamerRose said, it's best to get all your cats neutered/spayed.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He won't forget them, but his attitude will change. Although, a cat can hate someone or something and they never get over it. Mingo hates my younger son, who's grown, and even though Mingo doesn't see him for months at a time, he hisses him and attacks him as soon as son comes through the door.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Nadoori Nadoori Thank you for getting him neutered. Life will be a lot easier for all of you from now on.

Adult male cats still act like tom cats for at least 30 days after being neutered. This means he will still fight the younger males and can still get female cats pregnant. It's important to keep him indoors, in a room of his own if possible.

Can you get all of your other cats fixed too? At 8 months Koke is already sexually mature. The males will fight and spray urine everywhere if not neutered.

They won't forget each other. Cats have amazing memories. They'll all live together peacefully once everyone is fixed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your problems are going to totally be solved until they are all neutered and a couple months are given for all the hormones to leave their systems. Also since they were neutered so late, a lot of those habits are just that, habits. You might have to reintroduce them from square one all over again as if they are just meeting for the first time. It is so much easier to neuter them young before they get all territorial and start fighting in the first place. Also remember that hissing and growling are all normal forms of communication in cats and it is not only ok but it is also important that they do it.

You can also try Feliway plug ins and sprays, as well as calming collars, suppliments or even drugs to get them to calm down during the reintroduction.

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cage is large enough to sit, eat and watch them

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has a small bathroom where he stays during night time with kittens and their mother where he doesn't do anything to them

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Cage is large enough to sit, eat and watch them
Thank you for neutering this boy.

Please just leave him in a bedroom or in a bathroom, but not inside a cage. Make sure he has the necessities like clean bowl of water to be replaced at least twice a day, litterbox, food.

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't own all my cats. They are my sisters, mother, brother I can try to convince them to neuter

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for neutering this boy.

Please just leave him in a bedroom or in a bathroom, but not inside a cage. Make sure he has the necessities like clean bowl of water to be replaced at least twice a day, litterbox, food.
that's just whenever I want him to watch other cats it's not his base

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With me and humans in general is good affectionate but with other cats it’s like a bomb is ticking off

His fighting style is very disgusting same style as you can watch on YouTube when you type cats fighting, that’s really unnatural. If I didn’t break the fight safely, I’m sure he would have drawn blood or even worse

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If the other male cats are intact he thinks he has to drive them away to protect his home. Even if they are his own kittens, once they get past 6 months old he'll try to drive them away.

The only way for a group of cats to live together peacefully is if they are all spayed and neutered.