Got any suggestions re: a hot steam vaporizer?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has frequent upper respiratory infections and wicked allergies, and as part of his treatment, the vet recommended that I use a vaporizer to help re: the congestion.

Well, the cool mist vaporizer that I had only seemed to make the congestion worse, and the Vicks warm steam vaporizer that the vet suggested doesn't put out enough steam to help that much.  So I've been bringing Buddy into the bathroom with me when I take a shower, and that's made a huge difference!  Unfortunately, I can't just keep the shower running all day to create the hot steam that he needs.  And he seems to know that's what helps him the most, because whenever he's really congested, he frantically starts pawing at the shower door and meows, like, "Get in here and start this darned thing so I can get some relief!"

Is there such a thing as a vaporizer that would provide a lot of nice steam like a hot shower would?  Or does anyone have any suggestions for setting something up in the bathroom that would do the trick -- something pretty sturdy that wouldn't topple over easily and that I could run for about 15-20 minutes (under constant supervision, of course)?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :-)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, poor baby. I don't have any specific product recommendations for you. The steaming after a hot shower is very effective but obviously not very practical if needing to do frequently. I wonder if checking Amazon reviews would give you an idea of the best warm mist humidifier? I hope bumping this thread will get you some suggestions.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of vaporizer do you have? Check the directions and see if they say you can add salt to the water. A few pinches of salt really increases the amount of steam in my steam vaporizer.
You could try placing the vaporizer in the bathroom or a small room also.

lizz2034

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to know as well for my cat, Eli with chronic respiratory issues. He loves being in the bathroom with us when we take showers, but like you said, you can't keep the shower on all the time!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@lizz2034 I posted the link to the ones I have above.  I've used it successfully with 2 kitties and I use one for myself during the dry winter months.