Got Any Recs For A Good Pill Splitter For Small And/or Irregular Shaped Tablets?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to replace my old trusty pill splitter awhile back, and I'm not having much luck finding another one that will split oval tablets into two equal sized pieces, or teeny tiny ones without turning them into dust.

Do y'all have any recommendations?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ In the past 6 years I have not found a pill splitter that dose not make a mess of small tablets . I resorted to old-fashioned style. I use a piece of cookie/cracker box as a cutting platform and a new razor blade . Wear a cheap pair of magnifying glasses if needed .
Also you can dissolve the tablet in a measured amount of distilled water and dose with an eyedropper if not too bitter .
Good luck . .. :hellocomputer:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found a great one at Walgreens about a month ago - cost about $5. I don't know the brand but it has a rectangle shape, clear plastic top with a blue-ish plastic bottom - the thing really works well.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I found a great one at Walgreens about a month ago - cost about $5. I don't know the brand but it has a rectangle shape, clear plastic top with a blue-ish plastic bottom - the thing really works well.
I have (had) one just like that and it worked really well. The house gremlins got it because I can’t find it anywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ In the past 6 years I have not found a pill splitter that dose not make a mess of small tablets . I resorted to old-fashioned style. I use a piece of cookie/cracker box as a cutting platform and a new razor blade . Wear a cheap pair of magnifying glasses if needed .
Also you can dissolve the tablet in a measured amount of distilled water and dose with an eyedropper if not too bitter .
Good luck . .. :hellocomputer:
Ooh, a razor blade sounds like a purr-fect solution. Well, assuming I can get my arthritic fingers to cooperate. Thanks!

Guess I'll have to go out and buy some cookies now. We already have plenty of paper plates and cracker boxes to use as a cutting platform. But I would never dream of passing up an excuse to treat myself to some cookies. :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried one of those, but it just didn't hold up very well. After a few uses, it started cutting Buddy's pills into 1/4th and 3/4th sized pieces, and I'd have to shave off the excess of the larger piece to try to make the smaller piece come out about right. On the bright side, at least it contained the two pieces inside the plastic. My earlier attempts to cut a generic Zyrtec in half with a knife resulted in a couple of tiny airborne missiles flying in opposite directions, and me desperately scrambling to find them. :crackup:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have (had) one just like that and it worked really well. The house gremlins got it because I can’t find it anywhere.
Ah, the dreaded curse of the house gremlins! It's funny how they know to make off with things that are useful and/or near and dear to my heart. But they won't touch the stuff I wish would disappear. :wink:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those pill splitters mentioned, and it works fine for me, too, although I haven't tried it on the teeny tiny pills I have. If the razor blade is difficult to use, try one of those snap-off blade holders, which I used for hanging wallpaper. You hold it just like a pencil and when the small blade gets dull, you snap it off and another one takes its place. Any hardware store has them.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The blue one at Walgreens works well for oval tablets. It will not work for tiny tablets.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dreamer Rose, that's a great idea! I'll have to try that in future. Also, FWIW, if the pill isn't scored, it's not intended by the manufacturer to be cut in half. It means that the medicine can't be equally distributed about the tablet.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those pill splitters mentioned, and it works fine for me, too, although I haven't tried it on the teeny tiny pills I have. If the razor blade is difficult to use, try one of those snap-off blade holders, which I used for hanging wallpaper. You hold it just like a pencil and when the small blade gets dull, you snap it off and another one takes its place. Any hardware store has them.
You mean like a box cutter?