Got An Older Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Maybe he will soon do some more videos with an older cat with more issues, say arthritis for example. Or, one where the older cat has all but stopped keeping themselves clean!
I'm confused?, in the first video, he talks about grooming cats who stopped grooming and reasons why they stopped like arthritis or weakness.
Do you mean you would like to see an video dedicated to arthritis?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think they were good videos, don't get me wrong. And, please don't take offense because of what I said.

The grooming video basically addressed brushing. It did not discuss issues like a cat that is collecting dirt on their skin because they are essentially not grooming themselves much of any place on their body (even if they think they are!!).

Short of bathing, which is not ideal or appropriate with some older cats, it would be nice to see other plausible options that have been identified to help them get/stay clean - without totally upsetting them. It seems a lot of older cats, who have health/mobility issues, are also the same ones who are not all that comfortable with being messed with a lot. It is along the same lines as the idea of avoiding their spines when brushing, but would be much more in depth than that.

I was merely making an observation - maybe even just wishing - I was not meaning to offend.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad we can't message his YouTube channel, asking about this or asking to make a more in depth video, but we can always comment under the video.

I'm assuming you're aware of this but I will say it for people who may not be. there are wipes or a rag but I don't know if it removes dirt very well, probably only the top layers. the only alternative i can think of is dry shampoo, and grooming it out, from what I understand it does remove dirt, just not as well as a good bathing but it probably won't upset them as much.

I will keep an eye out for a good video or article on this and post it on here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. I have wipes that I am going to try. I was using them on her behind, 'booty duty' as I called it because she was getting frequent UTIs. But, after months and months of doing so, she suddenly started to rebel. She is a pretty 'tolerant' cat, so not sure what to make of her recent total denial of that cleaning.

I also am going to try sterile make up wipes and chamomile tea bags (standard commercial grocery store German variety, not English - no additives) to use on her behind, and may just see if she will let me wipe the rest of her down with those as well. The tea is anti-microbial, so should be as good as any soap that would have to be rinsed out.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she suddenly started to rebel. She is a pretty 'tolerant' cat, so not sure what to make of her recent total denial of that cleaning.
maybe it starting to hurt? I don't know

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I know this video is done on dogs but I think the tips he gives can be helpful with cats too, such as weight control.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do everyone thinks of these videos and techniques on trimming cat's nails? The technique showed in the first video might be problematic for cats with back pain.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have wipes that I am going to try. I was using them on her behind, 'booty duty' as I called it because she was getting frequent UTIs. But, after months and months of doing so, she suddenly started to rebel. She is a pretty 'tolerant' cat, so not sure what to make of her recent total denial of that cleaning.

I also am going to try sterile make up wipes and chamomile tea bags (standard commercial grocery store German variety, not English - no additives) to use on her behind, and may just see if she will let me wipe the rest of her down with those as well. The tea is anti-microbial, so should be as good as any soap that would have to be rinsed out.
So I texted a vet near me about keeping a old cat with arthritis clean, and they said sometimes shaving them is most helpful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I can keep her clean and she tolerates being cleaned, I'd rather not take her in to the vet to get shaved. But, there are cats, especially long haired ones (she is not) that I have heard most certainly benefit from it!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping they would suggest a product that they found to be helpful lol but they didnt.