Got a new kitten and having some issues

calliekitten16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am new here and I just adopted a 7 month old calico female kitten the other day.  She is adorable and sweet.  My issue with her is that she refuses to drink anything but running fresh water from the faucet.  I have a fountain that puts out filtered water for her also but she doesn't want to drink from it and I also have another bowl of fresh water that is changed daily available for her too.  What can I do to get her to drink from a bowl or the fountain I have?

kaylee892015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats always seem to drink more when I clean their fountain.. I take it apart and scrub it all thoroughly with vinegar. Also I rinse it very thoroughly.. could the bowls or fountain possibly have soap or other residue? I use filtered water even to put in the filtered fountain. I know my cats can be very picky when it comes to water.. they even prefer one brand of filtered water to other brands. I also believe they can tell when their bowls or fountain hasn't been rinced well enough. Keeping my fountain in their bathroom also seems to help my cats drink more since they hang out in there when they're going to be doing their business or even when they're not.. Its the ensuit bathroom to my room so that's another reason why they spend a bit of time in there. Also a raw diet is good for cats that don't drink a lot of water because there is alotnof water in the meat that makes up for the lack of drinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calliekitten16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding to my thread. I just bought the fountain the same day I got the kitten. It all makes sense now.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat like that who likes to drink from the toilets. I closed the lids so he couldn't go in there and got him a fountain. He drank from the fountain for a long while, but then had an episode of struvite crystals. So I let him drink from the toilets now and mix water into his wet food. Needless to say, I keep the toilets really clean.