Got a new dog, cat is hiding. Questions!

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a 6 pound Pomeranian mix from the Humane Society.  We are bringing her into a home with 4 cats and a German Shepherd. 

All the cats and the GSD get along fine.  The youngest cat Ginger  (she's a year) has never had and issue with the GSD and they are really buddies. She'll bonk on him, lay by him etc.  Well, for some reason, Ginger is afraid of the Pomeranian.  Since we got the Pom, Ginger spends most of her time in the garage.  

I feel bad.   I"m just shocked because Ginger has no issue with the 90 pound GSD, but she runs and hides from the 6 pound Pom!  

Do you think she'll get used to the new little dog?  How long do you think it will take? When should I get worried?

thanks!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the new dog's temperament? Is he/she active, and yappy or quiet and more of a lap dog that follows you around...How much interest is your new pup showing towards the cats?

How long have you had this new family member and what has the introduction process been so far?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The new dog is very chill. Not yappy. Definitely a diva lap dog.  She couldn't care less about the cats.  If they are standing there, she might try to sniff them, but generally she ignores them completely.  Never tries to chase them. 

We just got her within the last week.  She spends most of her time in my daughter's room, she has the run of the house if she wants it. The cats also have the run of the house. They can get away from her by going into the garage or up on anything since she's so tiny!  

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like an awesome addition! :)

With the way you describe her I think your kitty that's hiding will come around and they will be a blended happy pack in the next few months.

I wouldn't worry unless Ginger won't eat or litter box habits change.

There are calming agents that you can use to help ease this transition. There are room diffusers, sprays (Feliway), there are calming treats, Bach's rescue remedies and even Jackson Galaxy's Spirit essence remedies.

Encourage Ginger with treats and play. Help her make good associations with the new dog. Once Ginger gets used to the new sounds, smells and routine with her new friend (expect a month or two) It will feel like they've always been one big happy family. I feel this way because Ginger isn't unfamiliar with dogs and she will take the cues from the other cats and her big dog friend.

My advice and prediction come through personal experience. I have 5 cats 5 dogs and fostered both for several years. We brought our newest dog into our home 7 months ago and it seems like she's been here always. Every one is settled and happy but it took a few months.