Got a litter box for our anxious cat but now every cat is using that singular one

dooperdoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As the title says. My cat Lola was pooping in the tub but we just got her a nice new litter box to put in the bathroom. It worked and there's no more human sized cat poops in the tub but now all my other cats noticed it and are hot spotting it and the three other boxes in the store room are now very empty. No poop or pee to be seen.
How do I let my other cats know there are other options to use and to stop pooping in the lady's room? I can't be a bouncer for it because I work and go to school and my family is full of meanies who refuse to help out when it comes to cats (even though they're the ones who choose to adopt them without thinking or talking to me first)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dooperdoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might want to purchase another new litter box and replace one in the store room. It may be they like the size, shape or smell of the new box. Even when they are thoroughly washed boxes do over time accumulate scratches and some odor that doesn’t come out.
I'll try that! Maybe I'll get the same one I bought for Lola but in a different color since they all are glued to it

Adnil95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I had the same happen to me :)

I noticed that my Zeus sticks his head out the litter box, he is a big boy, always was. So I decided that I would buy a Maine Coon litter box. There are big and spatious.

Results: All cats go to the big toilet.

They liked the new arrangement more, and I would not blame them. SoI replaced all of them and now theyare more distributed.
Try to see if there is something as: different litter, different litter granules/dimension/odor. Does the new one have a closure? maybe a flap? Although most cats like open litterboxes. What about mats in front of litterboxes? How about the entrance: is it high or low? Does anything come to your mind?

Cats seem to be very icky and specific around their litterbox choices.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they don't like the store room. Is there appliances in there such as a water heater , boiler, or washer?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started getting stainless steel litter boxes. No more deep scratches and engrained odor! I got a really big one and thought wow, that is too big (28 inches long) but every cat goes to that one in the basement. They are pricey but supposedly never need to be replaced, so we'll see!