Got a Kitten for Christmas

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

People keep bringing up shots to me, and I am contacting the place where I got her to see what she needs.  All I know is that she was dewormed the day I got her.  I will also talk to the vet.  She was a Christmas gift, I don't know every exact detail about where I got her.
I know for me, if an adopted pet's information was not available for some reason, or if there was a big delay in getting it, I'd have to treat the it the same way I would a stray, and take it immediately to the vet. In my case, and probably others' as well, that means before it even comes home. This is not just for the adoptee's safety, but also the safety of existing pets. I have an entire folder full of documentation that was given to me the day I adopted my cat from the shelter last month. Shelters sometimes have the adopter sign a contract that the cat will be spayed/neutered before a given date if it hasn't already been done, so you probably want to have any of the contractual paperwork as well.

One other thing, when asking the place where you got her what she needs going forward, also ask for everything she already had done. Ask for specifics (exactly which vaccination, etc) I know it sounds redundant to do that, but your vet will want to know what she's had done, the dates they were done, and all that good stuff.

And we just want to help you, and Franky, who is seriously adorable, have the best life together possible.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten was given a shot and you don't have the info, the vet will give it to her just to be on the safe side. 

When I adopted Fluffy (after fostering her for two months) I decided to call the shelter I knew she came from.  She was about 6 months when she left there and I assumed she was up to date on all her shots, turns out they only gave her a rabies shot.  I'm not sure if the rescue knew she had not been given vaccinations.   It's a high kill shelter and I guess they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.  They didn't spay her until they knew she was leaving.

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Just another thing about kitty and how she learns new things--

I try to never scold or yell at my kitty--but to always set her up for success. If there's something that she's getting into that she's supposed to stay away from, instead of scolding her, because scolding doesn't really work and doesn't set up a positive relationship, I set things up differently. I use the Sticky Paws (I get it from Amazon--it's basically double sided tape with a not-so-sticky adhesive so that it can be used on fabric or tables and such) to deter her from surfaces and areas that I don't want her on. Cats are very curious, and I sometimes find her in the cabinets with the pots and pans. Instead of getting annoyed, I put a tie around the knobs. She usually figures out pretty quickly that there's something that she's not supposed to do.

Playing with your kitty--not just having toys for her--is also important. Play time is bonding time (which I'm sure you know from your dogs).

And I also agree with the caution about leaving the kitten with the dogs--whether they're eating or no person is around. We have a 75 pound lab. He is a super polite, super sweet guy. My cat is awesome--but she's a little instigator where he's concerned. She might set him off while no one's looking, and that would be the end of her. So erring on the side of caution, and separating them if they cannot be supervised--at least for now--might be safer. Cats can also catch things from dogs. Not just fleas. Those vaccinations are important.

Be patient with the wet food. She might be mostly eating the dry food because of something in it--but she needs to be hydrated, and the wet food has a lot of water in it. It's good to get her interested in the wet food, even if she's not eating that much. And her poops may vary as she gets used to eating both the wet and dry food.

I found these little airtight containers that work well for storing left over cat food--I'm sure they are available either at the pet store or at the supermarket.

I think it's great that you're here and are asking these questions. You sound very mature and interested in the well-being of your kitten, and kittens need dedicated parents!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blaze101xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems to enjoy playing with the cords to my computer, might try out that stick paws on the cords.  Thank you so much for the advice.  I got a new wet food that she seems to like better also.  She goes crazy for people food but I don't let her have any.

blaze101xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If the kitten was given a shot and you don't have the info, the vet will give it to her just to be on the safe side. 

When I adopted Fluffy (after fostering her for two months) I decided to call the shelter I knew she came from.  She was about 6 months when she left there and I assumed she was up to date on all her shots, turns out they only gave her a rabies shot.  I'm not sure if the rescue knew she had not been given vaccinations.   It's a high kill shelter and I guess they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.  They didn't spay her until they knew she was leaving.

I know for me, if an adopted pet's information was not available for some reason, or if there was a big delay in getting it, I'd have to treat the it the same way I would a stray, and take it immediately to the vet. In my case, and probably others' as well, that means before it even comes home. This is not just for the adoptee's safety, but also the safety of existing pets. I have an entire folder full of documentation that was given to me the day I adopted my cat from the shelter last month. Shelters sometimes have the adopter sign a contract that the cat will be spayed/neutered before a given date if it hasn't already been done, so you probably want to have any of the contractual paperwork as well.

One other thing, when asking the place where you got her what she needs going forward, also ask for everything she already had done. Ask for specifics (exactly which vaccination, etc) I know it sounds redundant to do that, but your vet will want to know what she's had done, the dates they were done, and all that good stuff.

And we just want to help you, and Franky, who is seriously adorable, have the best life together possible.
Update on the shots:  Place we got her from said to bring her in 2 weeks and they will giver her shots.  

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She seems to enjoy playing with the cords to my computer, might try out that stick paws on the cords.  Thank you so much for the advice.  I got a new wet food that she seems to like better also.  She goes crazy for people food but I don't let her have any.
One of my cats has a passion for chewing on electrical cords! After replacing the mouse on my computer 3 times and the adapter to my router twice (after trying all the 'cat deterrents' such as sprays, tapes, cord protectors) I finally came up with a remedy that works! I dipped my finger into some Vick's Vapo rub and ran it down the length of the cords, then lightly sprinkled some cayenne pepper on it (it sticks to the Vapo rub) - no more chewing! 

I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he excitedly watched me hook up a new mouse - he was just waitinggggggggggg to get a hold of it! When I walked away, I saw him trot over to it and stop. He looked at the cord, he sniffed the cord, he batted the cord... then he sniffed it again, sneezed, gave me a glaring look that would melt solid steel and he walked away. Problem solved!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, that is good news that she will get her shots from the organization where you got her. She will need boosters after that, so inquire about the boosters, and ask for copies of the paperwork that you can place on file with your private vet. :)

blaze101xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh. My. Gosh.  Your profile picture is so cute!

blaze101xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tip, I will try that.