Gorgeous black kitten-dog - anyone see identifiable traits?

robert mauro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

Recently, I adopted a rescue kitten. I met him and one of his brothers (another solid black kitten adopted by someone else). They're 16 weeks old. They are both very intelligent, very friendly and very very well tempered. They know not to use claws already. 

Attached are pics of his 2 brothers (black and orange) and sister (grey) - as well as pics of him today. 

Physical Appearance

Beyond what you can see in the pics, his paw pads are rather dark/black. His fur is entirely black, except for 3 hairs under his chin on his neck (there were about 8 or so, they're disappearing). His nose and lips are solid black. His eyes are golden green (and his black brother's were golden copper - didn't see his other two siblings in person). He's a little heavy for his appearance (and age). He's 4.7 pounds already, but looks lighter. He also has big knuckles.

Personality Traits and Behavior

Mine (named Peanut by his foster mom who rescued him from a kill "shelter") has the following personality traits:
  • greets me at the door every day
  • learned fetch in the first two hours of being home (and I only spent about 3 minutes trying to teach him the game - he came back an hour later and put his toy at my feet and waited). Now, he LOVES playing fetch (and catch), and requires me to play it with him multiple times a day. I have many a vid of him playing. 
  • insists on sleeping with me every night (does his best not to wake me up)
  • meows very vocally but only when he has something to say
  • doesn't like any doors closed between us (waits sitting outside the bathroom door meowing the first few minutes I am there. sits for quite some time waiting)
  • crazy jumper
  • learned catch on "Day 2" of being home... even has this head thing he does when he wants to play catch... drops the toy in my hand and looks up quickly, then at it, then again up quickly. 
  • loves sitting on my shoulder or asking to be picked up
  • big lap or chest cat if I am just sitting there doing something else
  • already learning what things he can (sofa, bed, most other things) and cannot (desk, table, counter) climb on (this is day 5 in his forever home for him)
  • knows his name
  • usually comes when called
  • learning "jump up" (for example onto the bed) and other commands
Various qualities of a Burmese or Bombay, even some physical traits of one or both (as well as of regular domestic shorthairs).

Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,

Rob

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks similar to a Bombay. I know that bombays eyes are really big, gold or a copperish color and round. They always look extremely surprised lol. But your kitty is more likely a very beautiful domestic shorthair maybe With Bombay genes in there somewhere. I'm sure someonemore knowledgeable will chime in shortly. Your kitty looks alot like mine, I'd post a picture but I didn't want to hijack your thread. Cute kitty though, sounds like he has a wonderful personality!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robert mauro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks similar to a Bombay. I know that bombays eyes are really big, gold or a copperish color and round. They always look extremely surprised lol. But your kitty is more likely a very beautiful domestic shorthair maybe With Bombay genes in there somewhere. I'm sure someonemore knowledgeable will chime in shortly. Your kitty looks alot like mine, I'd post a picture but I didn't want to hijack your thread. Cute kitty though, sounds like he has a wonderful personality!
Very similar, based on your profile pic. Gorgeous cat!