Goofy Cat Behavior

di2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not a terrible problem, but it is rather annoying. One of my cats, Fred, likes to play fetch. In fact, he insists on playing fetch. This is not the problem. The problem is that after fetching 2 or 3 times, Fred likes to completely soak his toy in the water dish before bringing it back to me (dripping, of course). This isn't so bad ... except when Fred decides its time to play fetch while I'm in bed and drops a completely soaking wet furry toy in my bed (sometimes while I'm sleeping). I often roll over onto some sopping wet cat toy in the middle of the night or find huge wet spots in my bed from the toys he drops there.

Why does he do this? Any clues? I don't want to discourage him from playing fetch, but I would prefer that he not soak his toys.

Thanks!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! Sorry I have to laugh what a character! I have a kitten who insists on playing fetch at least 5 times a day. If I am rude enough to not continuously throw the wad of paper for her, she will leap up on my computer chair and demand that I continue this game. So far she does not dunk the toy. Perhaps you can switch to a milk bottle cap or something else that does not retain water? *G*

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, but I just got a great laugh at your expense!
That is just too funny!

I have one cat who loves to play fetch and another who dunks her toys, but none who do both! My fetch kitty does like to bring her favorite toy to bed, but luckily it has never been dunked beforehand.

I wish I had words of wisdom for you.

Thanks for the good laugh!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry. Also had to laugh out loud - and this is a day that also needs laughs. Ditto lotsocats - we have one that plays fetch and the same cat likes to dunk toys, but not dunk the toy it's playing fetch with. The only thing that came to mind was Hissy's suggestion. Hope it works! Good luck, and keep us posted! :tounge2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

di2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I laughed at first too. The first time he dropped a wet toy in my bed it was funny ... for about 30 seconds!

I've tried getting him to fetch bottle caps or toys that don't hold as much water as the little furry ones. For some reason, he doesn't want to fetch those (he seems to only like the toys that soak up a lot of water). I also tried taking the wet toys away from him until they dry out -- he just gets another one out of his toy basket and soaks it too. Guess I could take away all the toys that hold water, but I hate to deprive him of his favorite toys. He doesn't seem to like the other ones.

I guess there are worse problems. He's a pretty good cat overall. Maybe I just have to learn to live with this weird little fetish he has. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

bundylee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very funny but I guess if it was hapening to me I wouldn't laughing wither.

As I was reading your posts and the replies I had a thought. I wonder if it's the weight of the toy that is the key here. (No I'm not on drugs lol). The furry toys are usually very light and after they get soaked they would be quite heavey (do you see what I am getting at?)

What if you got him a heavier toy? perhaps it is the heavyness he likes. Also one of those cat feeders that you can get with the bottle of water that drips into a small bowl as they need it, do you know the type I mean? It might be better as there is not enough room for him to dunk the toy.

Good luck.

bundylee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay not that I have been thinking about this all day or anything but what about the following?

1. Put fur toys away after play time and when you can't supervise.

2. Place a bowl of water outside with the cats toys and let him play with them there, dunking to his hearts content.

3. At bed time take the toys away to stop night time bed wetting.

Just a few thoughts anyway.

di2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I've thought about the weight thing too. Soaked toys are heavier and go further when thrown (for fetch). It might just be he likes the water though. He's also a faucet drip and bathtub licker.

I may try getting one of those water bowl-drip bottle jobs if I can find one. That might help (and he would probably like that, given his faucet licking habit). I may have to resort to taking his toys away at night (although I feel that's not really fair to his brother, Barney, who doesn't soak his toys).

Fred (the soaker) also tends to steal articles of clothing if they are left out. This morning, I found my pantyhose in the dining room window sill.

He is unlike any cat I've ever had.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

di2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Fred's a character all right!

Just goes to show ... don't pass up on those scared little feral kitties. Fred was born to a feral mom and was SO afraid of people! He stayed under the bed for a couple of weeks after I brought him home and wouldn't let me near him for at least a month. It took a couple of months before he would jump on my lap or let me pick him up.

Now, he's just a big (17 lbs!), cuddley, goofy, talkative, affectionate guy that follows me everywhere.

rubycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 month old female Maine Coon, Ruby, does the identical soaking behavior as Fred, complete with nightly wet spots in the bed.  i don't think it's a weight thing, for she does it with all sorts of toys;  furry ones, spongy rubber balls, you name it.  She likes the feel of the water.  When i'm holding the toy, she likes to rub up against it with her face.  One thing is certain.  it is certainly aggravating.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Bella goes after our other kitten Baby for no reason. Can't make her quit ! Any suggestions?