Goodbye, Ashwin

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three years ago, a scrawny stray cat appeared at my house. I had ten cats, I did *not* want to take in another cat and couldn't take responsibility for yet another stray. I ignored him.

But I have never met a cat that was so persistent. I don't have a normal work schedule and tend to come home at weird hours, but for a week straight, without fail, he was always sitting on my porch ready to greet me. When I would leave for work, he was there and even tried to jump in my car a few times. Finally, I was like... he knows what he wants, and what's another cat, really? So I took him in. I didn't want Ashwin, but he looked pretty sickly, and when I took him to the vet, I found out he had kidney disease. So I was like, fine. He looks terrible, surely won't live long, and I can keep him comfortable until it is his time. Much better than him being outside and suffering.

Inside the house, Ashwin was just as much of a sweetheart. My cats are various amounts of friendliness and outgoing, but Ashwin? He just wanted to be with me all the time. He always followed me around, wanted on my lap... At night, he would wrap his body around my face and lick my ears. He was always ready for a cuddle, and always so happy to to be near me. There wasn't a thing I did in my house that he wasn't just... there.

It was one of the nights when he was wrapped around my head I realized... Ashwin, I didn't want you, but now I can't imagine what it is going to be like to lose you.

As mentioned in another post, I had to put Ashwin down today. I've had a couple of scares with his kidney disease, but this was finally the one he couldn't recover from. When I got to the vet's office to see him for the final time, he was so perky. Meowed at me, purred, we cuddled on a cushion on the floor like old times. When the vet came in to put him to sleep, he sat up and meowed at her, so happy to see another person come and love on him. He was just so *happy*.

I've been home the rest of the day and even though my house is full of cats, it feels so empty without him. I love all my cats dearly, but seeing them hurts, they all remind me of him. It's just so hard. I've cuddled with my kitties today but they just don't cuddle the same way he did, they aren't Ashwin. I don't *want* them to be Ashwin, I love my cats for who they are, I just wish he wasn't gone.

ashwin.jpg

Goodbye, Ashwin. I love you and already miss you so much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will lend to you a kitten, God said,
for you to love while it lives, and mourn when it's dead.
Maybe for 12 or 14 years, or maybe 2 or 3,
but will you, 'till I call them back, take care of them for me?
They'll bring their charms to gladden you, and should their stay be brief,
you'll always have their memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise they will stay for all from Earth return,
but there are lessons taught below I want this kitten to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
and from the folks that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give it all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my kitten home again?
My heart replied, "My Lord, Thy Will Be Done",
for all the joys this kitten brings the risk of grief I'll run.
We'll shelter it with tenderness, we'll love it while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But should you call it back much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
If by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve,
Then in memory of it whom we loved, please help us while we grieve.
When our cherished kitten departs this world of strife,
Please send yet another needing soul for us to love all it's life.

Author Unknown

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of you, Ashwin wasn’t alone…those eyes speak volumes. Thank you for taking care of a unique cat who knew you’d make room in your heart: he chose your door for a very special reason. :petcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Ashwin, dream you deep. Your pawprints are pressed so deeply into someone's heart forever.

For three years, Ashwin lived, breathed and has his being wrapped in your love. And it was "forever" to him. I am sure Someone guided that sickly little cat to just the right door. You answered the call, and you were wrapped in his love, as well. I will tell you the deepest truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Ashwin sends that Love back to you, to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful soul......to be remembered and loved after death is a great honor. He made sure you carried him in your heart. " He was just so happy", and you made his life that way. You were his everything. He needed someone to love and to love him, you gave him that, and he thanks you from the bottom of his heart.
the house will seem empty without your little shadow, please know that though he now follows a new path, it will always parallel your own. The bond he formed with you can never be broken, never taken from your soul. Love is spiritual, so eternal, he will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. He would like nothing better than for someone he loves so very much to go forward into the future and live it seeking happiness and more love to reside right beside him, To live life the same as if you were the first to go and you would want for him.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, I know nothing can be said to bring you comfort right now, but know we understand your pain and will share your burden.
He gave you something very precious in this world, a cat's love.......RIP sweet Ashwin. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a lovely tribute to a very special kitty. I'm so glad you two found each other, if only for a brief time, and I'm so very glad you opened your heart and your home so this little boy didn't have to spend his last days outside and alone.

Rest in peace, sweet little Ashwin. :rbheart: