Good Toys for when you are away from home?

animallover77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks. So for those of you that wrote in with advice of moving Lucky from my grandmother's big house in FL to my little studio in NY...all is well. She's adjusted really well I think. She is very very clingy but I'm hoping this is just because she's only been here 2 weeks. I can never give her enough attention!

Anyway...to the title of the post...any ideas on good toys that entertain when you are out of the house? She plays with hair elastics and anything I dangle in front of her but I feel like she gets really lonely when I'm away during the day. I've even considered getting her a heating pad...something warm and cozy. Anyway...any advice on objects/toys/techniques to help them not be bored/lonely when you are out of the house?
Thanks!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout loves foam balls...I will put like 8 out for her, and all of them are under the fridge when I get home...she plays with every single one of them until they are hidden somewhere

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine love the Cheese Chase:

Translucent ball track offers hours of chasing fun for your cat
Swiss Cheese center offers challenge and interest with another ball to chase
Plush mouse on spring is filled with catnip to attract kitty!
Gentle spring action adds more action to this fun filled toy station
Non skid bottom keeps toy in place.

http://www.petstages.com/default2.asp

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toss a few empty toilet paper rolls on the floor. Some people recommend putting peanut butter inside, I don't have to do this since Gizmo loves them plain.
A pingpong ball is also very nice and inexpensive

and a cardboard box is giant fun for a cat.

I also leave some little fur mice out and bunny tails for Gizmo to play with when I am away.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lily loves soft glittery balls. Truely, obsessively loves them. Eve likes it when I put a hard plastic ball with a jingle bell in it in her carrier. It makes even more noise and it bounces a lot because it hits the wall. She also likes another toy with those. I took a small box and cut a few holes in it, just big enough for the jingle bell balls. Then I put a bunch of the jingle balls in and she has to try to get them out. Once they're out, she ignores them, but she really likes them in toys like that.

Paper grocery bags are lots of fun. So are cardboard boxes, especially if you cut one or two cat-sized holes in them. I've made cardboard box mazes and play castles for the bunnies and cats. They love them, and they're free!

Both my kittens like small catnip toys and their scratching post which is tall enough for them to climb. I'd recommend a cat tree if you can afford one.

If you do want a heating pad, try Snuggle Safe. It's made for pets. You heat it up and it's supposed to last for hours. No dangerous cords or electric anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animallover77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Thanks everyone! All great ideas! I'm really excited to have more options for Lucky. (who is trying to type on the keyboard as I write this message).Hopefully she won't be lonely now when I'm away. (the guilt when I leave her in the morning and she's looking at me with that cute face of hers is just awful!)

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Paper grocery bags are lots of fun. So are cardboard boxes, especially if you cut one or two cat-sized holes in them. I've made cardboard box mazes and play castles for the bunnies and cats. They love them, and they're free!
I'm going to have to try the cardboard boxes. I know my two like boxes. I tried those cubes you can buy, but they didn't touch them.