Good stuff to clean up pee and spray stains and odors?

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure really where to ask this, but it's a question that has to do with cleaning up after a behavior issue.

My girlfriend has a room that her cats have peed and sprayed in quite a while ago. She's trying to clean up the room. Right now, she can't afford to replace the rugs, so I'm curious if anyone knows of any good products out there that are good at cleaning up the stains and smells until we can replace the carpets.

Thanks for any ideas y'all might have.

~C

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used nature s mircle for years ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, we'll give them a try!

~C

fsuseminole98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Oxyclean, Nature's Miracle, Kids'n'Pets, everything. The best thing I've found is plain old 20 Mule Team Borax, the laundry enhancer. It's very inexpensive and available at the grocery store in the laundry aisle. If the stain has dried, pour water on it to dampen it again then pour a pile of Borax on it. You can see the Borax pulling the stain up. Once it dries, just vacuum it up. If it's a really bad stain you can also wet the Borax and scrub the stain with it using a soft brush, then vacuum when dry. My siamese and bassets don't seem to know there was ever a stain there; no one will go back and re-mark the same spot. It works great!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole98

I have used Oxyclean, Nature's Miracle, Kids'n'Pets, everything. The best thing I've found is plain old 20 Mule Team Borax, the laundry enhancer. It's very inexpensive and available at the grocery store in the laundry aisle. If the stain has dried, pour water on it to dampen it again then pour a pile of Borax on it. You can see the Borax pulling the stain up. Once it dries, just vacuum it up. If it's a really bad stain you can also wet the Borax and scrub the stain with it using a soft brush, then vacuum when dry. My siamese and bassets don't seem to know there was ever a stain there; no one will go back and re-mark the same spot. It works great!
I will check the safety issues , but that is a great idea

kittylea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty, sakura used to pee on a sofa chair everytime i was gone for a day. Thank god thats been fixed! Anywho, the best stuff i used was a viniger-water solution and then when that was dry i used natures miracle. I did this once because i didnt have nature's miracle on hand one time and used the viniger as a quick fix until i had something better.
This chair is now Sakura's favorite chair to sleep on not pee on.

Good luck with the cleaning

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you do replace the carpets, if you have a wood floor, you'll need to seal it before laying down the new pad. The wood soaks up cat pee like a sponge and you will never completely get rid of the smell. You could also replace the floor if that's an option. If the floor is concrete, you may be able to eliminate the stink with a good bleaching job.

Cheers.

fsuseminole98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Borax works on the hardwood too :^) A friend of ours's kitty missed the box A LOT on a hardwood floor, leaving a huge discolored spot. We boraxed it then sanded lightly. You can't tell there was ever an accident there, and my basset hound ignores the spot. If there were a cat pee smell there, the basset would know.