Good Sources Of Choline For Hairball Control For Kitty Who May Be Allergic To Eggs?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanson egg yolk lecithin has been the only thing that works for our kitties for hairball control. Well, that and lots of brushing! But our cat with food allergies and sensitivities has been a bit itchy since we started him back on it when shedding season started.

So we'd like to discontinue the EYL for a while to see if his symptoms improve, and were just wondering if there were any other good sources of choline that we could use instead during this trial period.

Any ideas? *asks hopefully* :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know about specific foods for a cat that contain choline other than eggs and liver - but, you could try margarine or butter to help with hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about specific foods for a cat that contain choline other than eggs and liver - but, you could try margarine or butter to help with hairballs.
Unfortunately, anything greasy doesn't work out very well for our kitties, and makes them even more prone to developing hairballs. But I know such remedies work out quite nicely for lots of other cats, so maybe ours are just weird. :wink:

That's why we absolutely loved the egg yolk lecithin. It was like Drano for hairballs. :lol:

Buddy does get slippery elm for other health issues, and it does help re: hairballs. It just isn't anywhere nearly as effective as EYL has been for him. :sigh:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am never sure about the whole 'when to use and when not to use' plain pumpkin, but I know others on this site say they have used it to help with hairballs.

So, if greasy things are not so hot for your cats, I guess that rules out petroleum jelly (Vaseline) too, huh? My first cat Tawny LOVED the stuff and that is what I used with him to prevent hairballs. Unfortunately, he was the only one of my cats that was willing to eat it!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am never sure about the whole 'when to use and when not to use' plain pumpkin, but I know others on this site say they have used it to help with hairballs.

So, if greasy things are not so hot for your cats, I guess that rules out petroleum jelly (Vaseline) too, huh? My first cat Tawny LOVED the stuff and that is what I used with him to prevent hairballs. Unfortunately, he was the only one of my cats that was willing to eat it!
I'm afraid we haven't had much luck with pumpkin, either. :(

The funny thing is that our cats love the taste of greasy stuff, especially coconut oil! In fact, I had to stop using coconut oil on my hands during what passes for winter here, or they'd get obsessed trying to lick it off my skin. :lol:

But Laxatone, petroleum jelly, coconut oil, etc. really seem to bind hair together in their systems something fierce during shedding seasons. That's why the EYL worked so well for them, because it really helped to keep any hair that they ingested from clumping together like crazy, and the slippery elm helped it to slide out. :wink:

Oh, well. At least EYL is still an option for Oscar. I just need to figure out what to do re: Buddy. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose psyllium would have the same effect?

Maybe Buddy needs a new hairstyle?? ;)

To be honest, we've never tried plain psyllium. Just Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid, which contains psyllium seed as one of the ingredients. It didn't make our cats hack up any hairballs like the oil/petroleum based products, but it sure did make them constipated! To quote that wise philosopher Roseanne Roseannadanna, "It's always something." :biggrin:

Love the pic of the lion cut. It's awfully tempting! But poor Buddy has such sensitive skin, with our luck, it would probably make him more susceptible to yet another antibiotic resistant skin infection or something. :wink:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dang!! Maybe you could use less of the EYL and only give it to him every 3rd day - or something like that??? Otherwise, I give up!!

Sure hope other members can come up with some ideas!!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang!! Maybe you could use less of the EYL and only give it to him every 3rd day - or something like that??? Otherwise, I give up!!

Sure hope other members can come up with some ideas!!
I'll give that a try, and maybe bump up his dose of slippery elm bark syrup a little as well. Doggone it, it seems like every time we finally get one problem ironed out, it just creates another one.

Thanks bunches, hon! I greatly appreciate all your efforts. :heartshape:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...Broccoli is loaded with choline...(OK, I will quit now).
Hee! GMTA. I was just reading an article that mentioned that. Apparently beets are a good source of choline, too. :)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanson egg yolk lecithin has been the only thing that works for our kitties for hairball control. Well, that and lots of brushing! But our cat with food allergies and sensitivities has been a bit itchy since we started him back on it when shedding season started.

So we'd like to discontinue the EYL for a while to see if his symptoms improve, and were just wondering if there were any other good sources of choline that we could use instead during this trial period.

Any ideas? *asks hopefully* :)
They have like a gel in a tube for hairball problem...Look online for hairball control and it shud show some of them..I use one myself...I use Tomlyn Natural Hairball Remedy For Cats (Laxatone)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have like a gel in a tube for hairball problem...Look online for hairball control and it shud show some of them..I use one myself...I use Tomlyn Natural Hairball Remedy For Cats (Laxatone)
Unfortunately, that's one of the remedies that didn't work out for us. But it sure does seem to help a lot of other kitties. :)

Thanks much!