Good or bad idea? Getting a 3rd cat

starlit rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am posting this for a friend. Here is her situation. She currently has a Siamese boy who is going to be 19 this year. He had a brother who passed away just last year, and when he passed, his brother (Bobo) was very upset, obviously. He cried and cried allllllll the time, for weeks, so my friend decided to get a new cat to hopefully bring him some company.

She adopted a 1 year old Siamese cat. Granted, he wasn't introduced properly, but he was very scared and aggressive. Eventually we decided it was best to put the new cat, Oliver, in a bedroom with all the necessities and wait for him to adjust (he wouldn't leave his cage). A couple of days pass, and he is out about in the bedroom, but if you went in, he would hiss and hide. We lured him out occasionally with catnip and even got to the point of petting him. But it took like a week for him to stop being scared.

When he seemed to have adjusted, he was let loose in the house. All was well except that he took to pestering Bobo. He chases and tackles Bobo (NOT in a playful manner) and Bobo doesn't fight back, just whines and runs to safety. This interaction has been going on for about a year now and my friend is worried about Bobo since he is so old. The new cat is obviously trying to dominate him, but Bobo doesn't fight back so it seems to me as a human that it's weird because the dominate one has clearly been established already with no argument. While my friend plans to get a kitten when Bobo dies, I wondered if she would benefit from getting a new kitten before Bobo dies, because it might distract Oliver from him. I figure it could be a new playmate who can actually take his strength, and it would take his attention off of Bobo. Does this sound like a good idea?