Good non-tracking, dust-free, healthy, not-bad-for-me-or-my-cats litter?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
For those members who have posted here in the last few days, you should note that the thread is over a year old. It's always a good topic for discussion, but if you're expecting a response from the OP you may not get it.

nancy black

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Odour Buster Litter is Canadian made and is excellent. It clumps and the bag lists it is the most dust-free litter on the market and I find this to be true. Also the bag indicates "Verified 100% Natural, Biological, and Organic"  In Canada first found it at Pet Valu which sells 15 kg bag (33lbs) for $16.99 sometimes they have it on sale for $15.99. And PJ's Pets now stocks it sells same size bag for $14.99 sometimes on sale for $12.99. I have used many different litters ie World's Best Corn Litter, other natural litters, some commercial litters that are low dust. This is the best and most healthy, dust free clumping litter. I use to mix expensive health and low price point litter until I found this. This is definitely the Best Litter and glad it is made in Canada. I been recommending it to many and now glad to share my recommendation online.

elitzaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

there are litters made from corn, wheat, walnuts and there are all natural, non dusty and also clumping. they are very good, I used
"Best World" (made from corn) and "Blue Buffalo" (made from walnuts) - they are very good, but expensive, compare to others.

I also use "Feline Pine" or other names (made from pine) pellets with special litter boxes, which I like BEST, because it is NON-TRACKING, it is NOT clumping, but you do not waste ANY litter - The urine leaks in the second part of the box and you scoop the feces, VERY ODORLESS. mY PROBLEM IS ONLY THAT ONE OF MY 2 CATS DOES NOT LIKE PELLETS AT ALL - poops outside the litter box.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Too funny does it clump?  I guess I could get it at a feed store???
Hi and welcome to TCS! 

This thread is a little old now; so I'm not sure if all the other posters are still here to see your question.  This is another discussion on wood pellets that we had: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/289840/thinkig-about-switching-to-wood-stove-pellets-for-cat-litter.  In that thread is another link to a long thread about litter types.  I hope that helps!  Or feel free to start a new thread with your questions. 

cathesue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am using Odor Busters right now and I hear it is the best. I have two cats, though, so I need to scoop clumps out at least once a day. It's not a big deal. I just scoop out the clumps into a bag that is inside a small bathroom trash can and I fold the bag over to keep the odors down, until the bag is full. 

I recommend using Odor Busters. The clumps do not break apart as you scoop them out. The odor is really down and if I need to, I add a little baking soda.

babakhaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Sorry for the long title. I'm currently using Feline Fresh which I like because it's cheap and not that bad for me and my cats. But it's dusty and it tracks.

I don't want to use clay because I read that it's bad for my cats' and my lungs. I also heard clumping litter is bad because cats lick their paws and pieces can get stuck in their intestines. But I would like a litter that is not dusty or less dusty and doesn't track. And kills odour.

So I'm basically looking for the perfect litter
I saw this one litter called Odor Busters which you only have to scoop every 7 days....it looks like clay and I don't know whether it's clumping.

I do prefer clumping but I guess if it's not healthy then I will change. I know I have a lot of criteria but if you have any suggestions for a litter that comes close to my dream litter, then I would greatly appreciate it.
i ahve been using this from week 3 and not returned, cat is now 2 years old ... ive tried everybrand from walmart and petsmart they are all BS.... all stink, never clump, even if you add baking soda until i found this    Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter  ... google it .. you will never regret it or read the reviews on amazon ... i usually just add a little bit of baking soda at the bottom of the litter box cause i think it helps to not cause leakage to stick to the box.... i do clean litter box everyday or 2nd day for sure.

ncook49

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do the wood pellets work as litter?  Do you need a sifter box?  Does it clump?  How do you dispose of it? 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How do the wood pellets work as litter?  Do you need a sifter box?  Does it clump?  How do you dispose of it? 
Hi and welcome to TCS! 

This thread was originailly started a few years ago. I'm not sure if the original posters are here regularly to see your question.  Please feel free to start a new thread asking your questions.  That should get you more answers; faster. 

One of my cats is very selective with her litter; basically I can't change it to anything other than what we've always used.  So I have not tried wood pellets myself. 

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started using okocat clumping wood pellets (the long haired cat version) a few weeks ago.  It is literally litter heaven.  It is THE only litter that lives up to its advertising.  It had been pretty pricey stuff but Amazon has a low price for the large box.

I wish I'd seen this idea about wood pellets earlier though, before I spent two years suffering under the storm of dust and tracked litter. I'd definitely want to use them with a sifting box arrangement - for my large cats that would mean a DIY version involving drilling a lot of holes in a Rubbermaid storage bin.  Otherwise you'd waste either a lot of wood pellets by having to change the litter every few days, or a lot of time manually sifting out the good pellets.  As long as the okocat litter stays at its current price (about 4x the cost of wood pellets) I won't be too motivated to get out the hand drill.

betsy conner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats used this litter for awhile, but then refused to go after 2 months. Has a weird smell. Been using Odour buster litter for 6 months. Excellent product and the cats seem to like it. Not available everywhere, have to go to the newer chain PetValue

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on okocat:  the first few boxes were great, clumped well and were dust free.  However, the next two boxes I got were incredibly dusty, and the dust got everywhere in my apartment and was highly irritating to both me and my cats.  I could smell the dust kicked up every time the box was used, and the nearby furniture got showered with it.  And, when I scooped the box I discovered about an inch of fine sawdust on the bottom.

I really like how the wood pellets don't track though, so I decided to figure out a sifting box setup using Feline Pine.  This may seem odd but it works:  I got a Tidy Cat Breeze box, took out the bottom tray, and got a large size cheap litter liner and fitted that to the bottom of the Breeze box.  Then I put this into my current (petmate jumbo) empty litter box.  Now I hardly ever see tracked pellets, there's hardly any dust, and it's really, really easy to maintain.  I only have to scoop poop and stir up the pee spots so the dust falls through, and once a week toss the litter liner in the trash and put on a new one. I wondered if I'd get urine odor with the sawdust sitting around for a week, but there's nothing.  And, no more pee clumps stuck to the side of the box!  Maintenance cost will be on the order of $5 a month.

I'm just wondering why it took me two years to figure this out!

crosbycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried Odourbusters for the first time this week, my cats didn't like Worlds Best and even pooped outside the box. Also heard it has a toxin in it called aflatoxin in the corn which can cause liver issued in cats
Odourbusters is fine grained, clumps well, haven't noticed much dust at all and cats like it. We scoop daily and no odour. Made in Canada too!!

gina marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7 DAYS WITHOUT SCOOPING?  That is disgusting and harmful for your cats health.  We scoop 3 times a day.  Before work, after work and before bed.   Maybe you should invest in a self cleaning litter box. I do not know much about them but might be worth looking into if you are not interested in doing it yourself.  We scoop for their health, and ours.  

tammyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on okocat:  the first few boxes were great, clumped well and were dust free.  However, the next two boxes I got were incredibly dusty, and the dust got everywhere in my apartment and was highly irritating to both me and my cats.  I could smell the dust kicked up every time the box was used, and the nearby furniture got showered with it.  And, when I scooped the box I discovered about an inch of fine sawdust on the bottom.

I really like how the wood pellets don't track though, so I decided to figure out a sifting box setup using Feline Pine.  This may seem odd but it works:  I got a Tidy Cat Breeze box, took out the bottom tray, and got a large size cheap litter liner and fitted that to the bottom of the Breeze box.  Then I put this into my current (petmate jumbo) empty litter box.  Now I hardly ever see tracked pellets, there's hardly any dust, and it's really, really easy to maintain.  I only have to scoop poop and stir up the pee spots so the dust falls through, and once a week toss the litter liner in the trash and put on a new one. I wondered if I'd get urine odor with the sawdust sitting around for a week, but there's nothing.  And, no more pee clumps stuck to the side of the box!  Maintenance cost will be on the order of $5 a month.

I'm just wondering why it took me two years to figure this out!

tammyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So..... Let me get this straight.. You don't use the bottom tray to the breeze at all? I use the pine pellets from feed store. Super cheap. And I,too, use a breeze box but your plan seems much better. How do you use the liner in your system?

gingy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't care what litter type you use, not scooping at least once a day is disgusting and potentially dangerous to you and your cats' health. 7 days or more not scooping? Are you kidding me? Good luck with your future toxoplasmosis. 

After trial & error of 8 different litter types and brands, we've settled on "Odour Buster" as the most consistent and least dusting clumping litter.

We have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes in 3 different rooms around the house.

No litter is ideal, because there are drawbacks no matter what you choose.  Crystals with silica dust cause cancer, vegetal-based litter contains aflatoxins and/or bug larvae (corn or wheat) and clay-based ones can cause mucus membrane irritation and/or intestinal track issues in your cats if licked off their paws. Pellets are cheap but many cats will avoid it and pee on your comforter instead and pellets don't cover the stink.

IMHO, best advice, find the lowest dusting premium clumping clay litter. Fill the box in the garage or best outside. Scoop slow and low to avoid dust clouds. It takes us 1 minute for each litter box 3 times a day to scoop with minimal dust.  15mins total between 2 people is not a lot of time in a day for good hygiene.    Sanitary trimming of long-hair cats helps keep their rear ends clean of "cling-ons" :)

We use clippers to do basic belly & sanitary trims and once every 3-4 months go to a CFMG groomer for professional de-shedding and fur trimming. We bath all our cats with hypoallergenic degreasing shampoo twice a year at the start and end of summer (after 10mins blow-dry they dry-out naturally on our catio on sunny days). 

Our cats frequently sleep in our bed and sometimes on top of us.  Never had a single health issue yet.