Good Location For The Litter Box?

Chris_Takas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am not sure if this fits in here, but its sort of a behavioral question. where is best place to put a litter box? obviously not in the middle of the room but do cats have a general liking to where the box should go, or is it from cat to cat different? shall it be more in the bathroom so we could go together? (just kidding) in general a more darker spot or a brighter spot? somewhere hidden away or in the hallway?
P.S. this site is awesome! thank you all so much for your great advice and input.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats generally like the litterbox to be out of the way in a low traffic area. So like putting it in the middle of a hallway would probably be bad. I have one cat quarantined and she has her own room with the litter box off to the side of the room. My other cat's box in in my basement. No one goes down there and I won't have to smell it.

I would suggest maybe in the far corner of your kitchen, or in a spare room. I don't really know the layout of your home, so I don't know. Once it was in a closet because she was messy and I tried to contain the litter to one area.

My preference is always the basement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris_Takas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks again! :)) low traffic area it is! my flat is very tiny (one bedroom flat). so sadly no spare room! although i would love to build him a cat paradise in his own room! :)) im thinking kitchen is the way forward. thank you!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be easier to clean up after I think. You can just sweep up any litter that gets on the floor. Just don't put it near where you feed him. They don't like to go close to where they eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris_Takas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt neither! :)