Good idea? Bad idea? FIV + kitten

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am considering adopting an older kitten. My problem is I already have a very high energy cat and I don't know if bringing in a cat that has fiv is a good idea. My instinct says bad idea but I would like some second opinions.

Indy is my current cat and even though she is an adult she is high energy, litteraly bouncing off the walls at times. This has become more of a thing since Kabuto was put down. My concern is her roughhousing with the new cat and getting infected with AIDS as a result.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For all such "positive" cats its important to be in a stress-free milieu. As stresses may cause the sleeping infection to burst open.
So, a lively pal makes prob no harm, as long he is friendly, and they dont bite each other... :)
Saliva (ie washing each other) may be a potential risk, but the real risk is always bites, esp if they fight.

Although sometimes its false positive. What test was done? The standard quick test "snap-test" isnt very reliable. Gives often false positive.
May be worth to retest.

Also, sometimes, if they happened to be vaccinated against such a disease (there are several) - they will later on show + on a test...

I sound vague, because for the moment I dont remember my old knowledge...

But today did come in the swedish journal on cats, and missus told me they had an article FIP isnt no longer deadly.
Apparently they found some working treatment.
I will read this article and come back tomorrow...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, memory comes back. There is this FiV and Felv? The answer is essentially similiar, with Felv the more contagious and thus, you must know exactly what you are doing if you have a Felv+ cat....

FIV is easier to controll of these two. As said, stress free (so for example, no starvation, no barking hostile dogs, no infections).
They can usually coexist with other, friendly, healthy, FIV- cats. As the biggest danger of infection is through deep bites.

The other advices re testing, are the same as before.

Of course, befory you go all out and hang yourself on my weak memory, do google some, ask you vet and such.

Re this FIP I mentioned. Its not the same disease, I know.
The answer was, there IS now a remedy which works fairly efficient. The problem is, its costly, and only vets licensed for this remedy may use it. (I dont know the name of the remedy)... Treatments goes on 84 days.
A pill cost roughly 200+ dollars, there are also boost injections. and the whole treatment - about 10 000 dollars. Although there are freestanding sites where you can get the pill cheaper.

I presume insurance helps some, IF your cat have insurance...

IndyJones IndyJones

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have actualy looked at a different cat who I will meet on sunday he is 1 year old and fiv/felv negative. My instincts tell me it is better to be safe. Indy needs a playmate she can roughhouse with without getting sick.

The pic in my avatar is actualy Indy and Kabuto mid roughhousing.

And it was infact fiv AIDS not FIP I don't think there's a cure for the human varient of aids let alone the cat version.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I met a 7 month old kitten today. He is all black with yellow eyes. I actualy almost sat on him I didn't see him! He poked me with his claws gently and crawled onto my lap purring his head off.

I have to wait for an application though because apperently this organization operates mostly online. Kinda strange but it is what it is.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I met a 7 month old kitten today. He is all black with yellow eyes. I actualy almost sat on him I didn't see him! He poked me with his claws gently and crawled onto my lap purring his head off.

I have to wait for an application though because apperently this organization operates mostly online. Kinda strange but it is what it is.
LOL!! As someone whose wardrobe is 97% black, I cannot begin to tell you how many times I’ve almost sat on my black kitty while she’s curled up on one of my sweaters or jackets that I’ve left on the couch :lol:

Best of luck with the adoption process, I’m sure you’ll get approved and be taking the little dude home in no time!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know whats going on with tgat organization. Dead air since friday. I visited a shelter a few towns over today on my way to Ikea. I saw a black and white cat there with a white blaze on his face really cute and soliciting belly rubs hes 8 months old and has no preexisting conditions. His markings remind me of a clydsdale horse. White socks and a white blaze.