Good, cheap cat claw trimmers?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We normally take Simon to the vet when he needs his claws trimmed, if for no other reason than to spare both him and ourselves unnecessary frustration (and I am a huge scaredy cat, worried I'd cut the quick) but with the winter weather finally arriving here in IL, the frequency of our non-medically necessary vet visits needs to be reduced to as few as possible. His front claws seem to grow SO FAST and are starting to get snagged on blankets and our clothing; Ideally, we could get them trimmed before (A) he ends up ripping a claw and getting hurt and (B) he winds up really taking a chunk out of somebody inadvertantly.

Can any of y'all recommend a good, reasonably priced pair off of Amazon or Chewy? Also I know I saw a thread a few days ago but can't find it on mobile - do I just trim his front claws or front AND back?

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually just nick the very tip off with human nail clippers; I don't trim far down at all because it can make them split, but they're fine for taking the sharp tip off.

Otherwise, I've been told you could use baby nail scissors as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trim both the front and back claws. Here's the TCS article on trimming back claws: Should You Trim Your Cat’s Back Claws? – TheCatSite Articles

I use something like this: FRISCO Nail Clippers for Cats and Small Dogs - Chewy.com

Keep a small container of styptic powder on hand in case you accidentally cut too far and the claw bleeds. Cornstarch will work in a pinch but some people may not have that in their kitchens. I've heard that a rubbing a bar of soap on the claw can also work to stop bleeding.