Good Cat Litter?

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cat litter do you suggest/use? I want to make sure I'm giving my kitten superb litter (: Also, is scented litter well for cats? Can it give allergies or increase sneezing?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
For kittens it's suggested to obtain non-clumping litter, and non-scented is better as you're right, it can cause issues :).

I don't really have a brand in mind but other members may.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Do they adjust to it quickly? How much are pine pellets?
They were feral/hoarding situation and I don't know what they used at the very beginning ... I try not to think a lot about what was going on in their life then. :/ Their initial rescuer thankfully used pine pellets for the coupla weeks they were there. I don't think they had a hard time adjusting, she woulda mentioned it (very chatty)

I pay $6/40lbs at Tractor Supply Company (they call it equine bedding)

I feel lucky my 3 adults all took to them quickly. I've been using them since Sept.
Probably best to just get the kitten happy with them now, adults aren't always so happy about changing things haha! :D

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I, mainly, use Swheat Scoop. It's natural wheat, clumps naturally, smells great. I figure if cats ingest any of it (while cleaning themselves), it's only wheat, can't hurt them. I've used it for kittens and adults -- safe for both. Cats have no problem using it.

Sometimes, when I can't get Swheat Scoop, I use a natural, unscented, non-clumping gravel. But, I prefer the Swheat Scoop, by a long shot.

Swheat Buddy 1.jpg

My "Buddy", probably 6 or 7 weeks old, here.... Turns 17, May 1st. :)

Last edited:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Unscented. No smell at all, clumps well, seems like a reasonable price. Says it has "less dust," although I'm not sure less than what, a dust storm? I don't think it's any dustier than anything else, though. I like it. You do have to go to a big pet store to get the unscented, the grocery store doesn't have it.

I previously used the Arm & Hammers and, although I thought they performed quite well, I could smell the litter (not necessarily the poop). There was always this clay smell in the room the box was in. I could have lived with it if I had to, but the Fresh Step has no smell of any kind, even when scooping.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Worlds best corn clumping & really liked it. Unscented of course. Much less dust than clay, & peices didn't feel as sharp as the clay does, so im sure much more comfortable on kities paws too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were feral/hoarding situation and I don't know what they used at the very beginning ... I try not to think a lot about what was going on in their life then. :/ Their initial rescuer thankfully used pine pellets for the coupla weeks they were there. I don't think they had a hard time adjusting, she woulda mentioned it (very chatty)

I pay $6/40lbs at Tractor Supply Company (they call it equine bedding)

I feel lucky my 3 adults all took to them quickly. I've been using them since Sept.
Probably best to just get the kitten happy with them now, adults aren't always so happy about changing things haha! :D
I did some research on those pine pellets and I fell in love! I bought two big bags and my kitten sure adjusted to them quick! Its easy to clean and I finally don't have to keep seeing her litter tracks from the previous litter. Thanks! (:

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am perforce a "cheapskate" ( small pension) who recycles everything. I burn good island turf out here and the ashes are soft and absorbent. The cats love it. Then it goes out on the ash heap. The new ones were hard to train but I saw the worst one on the tray just now..

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use the Costco brand clumping cat litter and it's GREAT! Pine pellets would be better for a kitten, but once she's older...if you wanted clumping - we've had good luck with it.