Gone Too Soon

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lost my sweet boy, Shar in September. None of us expected it at all, he crashed too fast and in a week the vet announces they did everything that can be done. He was only 6. I had reserved Luc a couple of months before that happened, and they were supposed to be friends, but things don't go as planned. He was only gone for a month when Luc arrived. At first, I was afraid I might forget Shar because of Luc and I didn't want to feel bad/guilty about it, but in reality not a day goes by when I'm not thinking of him. It was such a difficult time, it still is but much less so, but sometimes you have to face whatever life throws at you. I miss him so much. I still find myself looking at his favorite spots expecting him to be there. I still hope a moment comes when I hear his bell, look over and find him running about as he always did. He was always happy, never complained about anything. 6 years with him were never enough.
380881055_6564524750302854_7463768168433080064_n.jpg
380912570_6564526710302658_3013229357645221598_n.jpg
380913324_6564510053637657_2200899947467976970_n.jpg
380927453_6564526796969316_1664822336181827101_n.jpg

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of Shar's sudden passing. I lost my beloved dog, my best friend, Becky in September. She was going to be twelve later that month, which is a respectable age for a collie, but it happened suddenly and took everyone by surprise, including our vet. Like you, it took me a while not to expect to see her in her favourite places, and to think that it was about time I should be walking her or getting up to feed her at her set mealtimes. Sometimes I still find myself on the train home from work looking forward to having her rush up and greet me as soon as I walk in the door, only for the painful realisation to hit me that that isn't going to happen. I still sometimes cry when I think about her. Losing a pet is a difficult time, even when you knew it was coming, but suddenness makes it worse because you don't have time to prepare or adjust.

I never intended to get a new pet so soon after Becky passed, but when I saw Cleo I somehow knew she was meant for me, if that doesn't sound too corny. I sometimes feel bad about it, thinking about how jealous Old Beck would have been. Cleo can never fill the Becky-shaped hole in my heart. I love her, but in a different way because she is a different animal. But giving a rescue cat a forever home and settling her into my life provided a distraction from the pain and helped me to move on from it, and having her around means I'm not as aware of the places where Becky isn't.

I'm sharing this to tell you that you aren't alone in this situation. I hope that bringing Luc into your life and watching him grow will have the same healing effect on you, and that he will live a long and happy life with you.

RIP Shar, handsome boy. Your human family will never forget you. :angelcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Shar, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a stunningly beautiful boy he was, is, and always will be! You are right, six years is not long enough, but where there is love, an eternity is not long enough. From every word you wrote, each photo you posted, I could tell that Shar lived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your love, and I know that your love accompanied him as he took his first step through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure. It traveled with him until he reached That Place Where All Things Are Known. And now, from his new home in That Place, he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of Shar's sudden passing. I lost my beloved dog, my best friend, Becky in September. She was going to be twelve later that month, which is a respectable age for a collie, but it happened suddenly and took everyone by surprise, including our vet. Like you, it took me a while not to expect to see her in her favourite places, and to think that it was about time I should be walking her or getting up to feed her at her set mealtimes. Sometimes I still find myself on the train home from work looking forward to having her rush up and greet me as soon as I walk in the door, only for the painful realisation to hit me that that isn't going to happen. I still sometimes cry when I think about her. Losing a pet is a difficult time, even when you knew it was coming, but suddenness makes it worse because you don't have time to prepare or adjust.

I never intended to get a new pet so soon after Becky passed, but when I saw Cleo I somehow knew she was meant for me, if that doesn't sound too corny. I sometimes feel bad about it, thinking about how jealous Old Beck would have been. Cleo can never fill the Becky-shaped hole in my heart. I love her, but in a different way because she is a different animal. But giving a rescue cat a forever home and settling her into my life provided a distraction from the pain and helped me to move on from it, and having her around means I'm not as aware of the places where Becky isn't.

I'm sharing this to tell you that you aren't alone in this situation. I hope that bringing Luc into your life and watching him grow will have the same healing effect on you, and that he will live a long and happy life with you.

My sister had a cat, Oscar who she says she hasn't been able to 'get over' for five years. And then one of her Labradoodle dogs passed. She said people kept saying 'Well you still have Winnie' remaining dog 'Yes, but she's not Beau'.

Don't feel bad or guilty about loving Luc, they're not automatons and each have their different personalities. Luc will help you but of course you will go through the grieving for Shar as long as it takes, like everyone else. Beautiful cat btw.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. Your Shar was so beautiful and too young. I feel your pain. I still miss my big guy every single day, even though he passed away October 2022. Sudden passing is very hard to deal with.
My deepest condolences to you. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people just don't understand that a beloved pet dying is devastating and as important to the soul as a human dying. It is a loss to the heart and the heart does not know the difference. after growing so much older and going through so many deaths, I can relate definitely to what you are saying. I have found that time is the only real healer of grief, that eventually your grief turns to gratitude for them sharing your life. But there is no time limit on grief, it is what it is. i can still be brought to tears over losing my soulmate Chrissy, and she has been gone almost 11 years. It depends on how big that hole is in your life.
Try to concentrate on the years that Shar shared with you on your life's journey. not on his end. He would never want you to be so sad. He gave you so many wonderful memories, it is a shame to overshadow his love with something so sad. Try to go forward into the future and live it as you would have wanted for him to go forward if you were the first to go. You would never want him to be so devastated. He feels the same.
I found that concentrating and living in the present helps tremendously, just like cats do. They don't dwell on the past or try to guess the future, they just are, they live for the now. Dwelling on all the should haves and could haves does nothing but bring pain, and does not change anything. Trying to guess a future is fruitless. Love does not go away, it is spiritual. It transforms into something else and goes on, always surrounding you.
Your pain will always be there, but if you live in the present and learn ways to cope with your pain, like getting on with your everyday chores, and letting a little happiness creep in every day, it teaches you how to make a new life's order for yourself. Don't worry, you can always bring up your pain and memories, but you can learn how to wall them off for a while while you are working on filling that giant hole in your house and soul. A great start is to concentrate on Luc, he can never replace that love you share with Shar, because that is a permanent part of your being. but his love can enter and reside right next to your boy's and help it to grow even stronger because you are using Shar's legacy on how to love. A cat's heart is a treasure in this world. A new love can help you forge an even greater love with Shar. I think Shar knew you would be taken care of by Luc, so he passed peacefully. He may have been instrumental in bringing Luc into your life. "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened"...........RIP precious Shar. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for your thoughtful words. I am so sorry for your loss of Becky! You are such a great pet guardian.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, sweet Shar. I'm sorry he was taken away from you so soon. Luc will never take his place but I hope his company brings you some comfort as your mourn the loss of your sweet boy. :rbheart:
Thank you! Luc is so sweet and really does make my days easier :hearthrob:

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Shar, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a stunningly beautiful boy he was, is, and always will be! You are right, six years is not long enough, but where there is love, an eternity is not long enough. From every word you wrote, each photo you posted, I could tell that Shar lived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your love, and I know that your love accompanied him as he took his first step through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure. It traveled with him until he reached That Place Where All Things Are Known. And now, from his new home in That Place, he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
Thank you so much! My love for him is eternal.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. Your Shar was so beautiful and too young. I feel your pain. I still miss my big guy every single day, even though he passed away October 2022. Sudden passing is very hard to deal with.
My deepest condolences to you. :hugs:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you virtual hugs. :hugs:

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some people just don't understand that a beloved pet dying is devastating and as important to the soul as a human dying. It is a loss to the heart and the heart does not know the difference. after growing so much older and going through so many deaths, I can relate definitely to what you are saying. I have found that time is the only real healer of grief, that eventually your grief turns to gratitude for them sharing your life. But there is no time limit on grief, it is what it is. i can still be brought to tears over losing my soulmate Chrissy, and she has been gone almost 11 years. It depends on how big that hole is in your life.
Try to concentrate on the years that Shar shared with you on your life's journey. not on his end. He would never want you to be so sad. He gave you so many wonderful memories, it is a shame to overshadow his love with something so sad. Try to go forward into the future and live it as you would have wanted for him to go forward if you were the first to go. You would never want him to be so devastated. He feels the same.
I found that concentrating and living in the present helps tremendously, just like cats do. They don't dwell on the past or try to guess the future, they just are, they live for the now. Dwelling on all the should haves and could haves does nothing but bring pain, and does not change anything. Trying to guess a future is fruitless. Love does not go away, it is spiritual. It transforms into something else and goes on, always surrounding you.
Your pain will always be there, but if you live in the present and learn ways to cope with your pain, like getting on with your everyday chores, and letting a little happiness creep in every day, it teaches you how to make a new life's order for yourself. Don't worry, you can always bring up your pain and memories, but you can learn how to wall them off for a while while you are working on filling that giant hole in your house and soul. A great start is to concentrate on Luc, he can never replace that love you share with Shar, because that is a permanent part of your being. but his love can enter and reside right next to your boy's and help it to grow even stronger because you are using Shar's legacy on how to love. A cat's heart is a treasure in this world. A new love can help you forge an even greater love with Shar. I think Shar knew you would be taken care of by Luc, so he passed peacefully. He may have been instrumental in bringing Luc into your life. "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened"...........RIP precious Shar. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you, and you are right; living in the present moment helps a lot. I know that Shar would want me to be happy and not be saddened all the time, as he was always a happy cat with a bubbly and uplifting personality. If there's anything I learned from him, it's so seek comfort and happiness in whatever situation one is in. I truly believe that that is the legacy he left behind.