Golden Syrup

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody here use it? I found a recipe for Pecan Pie that I want to try. It calls for golden syrup (and a chocolate base inside the crust and well, chocolate!)

I really like Smitten Kitchen and I love Deb; she's awesome. She uses golden syrup in her pecan pie and I'm really curious about the recipe. I'd like to make my pecan pie with golden syrup, just to try it. Problem is, the stores around here don't carry it. I had to order it from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow.

Maple syrup is more liquid-y than golden syrup, so not a really good match; I'm afraid it would over-power the pie. I have King's Syrup, but always thought that was more of a table syrup to be served at the table over pancakes, waffles, etc. My grandmother always had King's Syrup on hand and she used it for everything.

If I like the syrup, I'm going to try sticky buns made with that instead of corn syrup. Anybody have any thoughts?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found several recipes online to make your own golden syrup, including one from the daring gourmet. It looks pretty easy, especially for a great cook like you. If I really wanted to try the pecan pie, I would make my own. It's more sugar based, according to what I read.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used it in the past,and I believe what I used was the golden eagle brand.Seems to me like it gave a richer flavor than plain corn syrup,but it's been a long time since I've had any in the house.I'd think it'd be a bonus to use in a pecan pie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered it and should be here tomorrow. I had found some different recipes to make it from scratch, but just bought it (guess I'm getting lazy in my old age!)

Thanks guys!