Going to vet today

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on my 1 year old boy’s constipation. He had loose stools on Thursday night/Fri morning and nothing since then. I’ve tried all suggestions I’ve gotten here and elsewhere and still nothing. He’s been acting completely fine though. He’s still eating/drinking, running around like a maniac, urinating.

If there was a blockage would he be doing these things? Obviously something is very wrong but he’s not acting like there is. Hopefully it will be a simple fix and nothing too serious. Keep you all posted. Fingers crossed!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there was a blockage would he be doing these things? Obviously, something is very wrong but he’s not acting like there is.
If he hasn't gone since Friday morning, and he used to go every other day, it is a good thing you are taking him to the vet, just to be on the safe side. It can take a while to get to a total blockage, so he could very well be on his way to that. Could it be that he swallowed more than just one ear plug? I know you said he swallowed one, maybe he actually ingested another and it is still somewhere in his digestive tract?

Good luck at the vets and let us know what happens! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he hasn't gone since Friday morning, and he used to go every other day, it is a good thing you are taking him to the vet, just to be on the safe side. It can take a while to get to a total blockage, so he could very well be on his way to that. Could it be that he swallowed more than just one ear plug? I know you said he swallowed one, maybe he actually ingested another and it is still somewhere in his digestive tract?

Good luck at the vets and let us know what happens! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
That’s my worry. He literally chews and eats everything. I don’t know why. I guess he could have gotten a hold of pretty much anything. My friend is the vet tech and they’re extremely busy, but she got me in so we’re waiting now. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious!

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I left with more questions than answers I think. I’ll start off by saying my vet is about 80 years old and very very well respected in my town.

He asked how I knew my cat wasn’t pooping. Obviously I said there’s nothing in the litterbox and my apt is so small, I would notice if he was going elsewhere. He examined him and said there’s absolutely nothing wrong, he’s perfectly healthy and not constipated. He is whopping 11 lbs at just under a year. Can you feel if a cat is constipated? He’s the go-to vet for everyone so I do respect his opinion. Thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess all you can do at this point is watch for your cat to poop - or other signs, such as vomiting because things are backing up.

Did you tell him about the ear plug and him chewing/eating stuff he shouldn't?

Someone trained to know what to feel for might be able to tell if a cat's intestines are 'full', but I sure wouldn't know how. You can feel his belly for some hardness, but that is purely subjective if you don't know what you are looking for.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do want to add that older vets tend to 'know their way around' and don't always rely on testing for everything. So, that is probably your vet's perspective. But I'd watch your cat 'like a hawk' for now. Hopefully, your vet is right, and this is just some temporary bump in the road for your buddy.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess all you can do at this point is watch for your cat to poop - or other signs, such as vomiting because things are backing up.

Did you tell him about the ear plug and him chewing/earing stuff he shouldn't?

Someone trained to know what to feel for might be able to tell if a cat's intestines are 'full', but I sure wouldn't know how. You can feel his belly for some hardness, but that is purely subjective if you don't know what you are looking for.
I said he gets into everything and threw up an earplug a couple weeks ago. The vet just said there’s really nothing wrong in his opinion. I’m sure he’s seen thousands and thousands of cats in his 85 years so I’m confident he knows what he’s talking about. I’ll just keep an eye on him and call back if nothing changes.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally couldn't tell you how to feel for constipation in a cat. But yes, a seasoned vet could absolutely feel palpate his gut, and tell you if there are hard stools backed up. You can give him a teaspoon of raw egg yolk if you wanted to move things along. Egg yolk has a laxative effect so be aware that the next poop could be runny depending on how sensitive he is to egg yolk.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally couldn't tell you how to feel for constipation in a cat. But yes, a seasoned vet could absolutely feel palpate his gut, and tell you if there are hard stools backed up. You can give him a teaspoon of raw egg yolk if you wanted to move things along. Egg yolk has a laxative effect so be aware that the next poop could be runny depending on how sensitive he is to egg yolk.
I’ll try that as well. The vet said he seems well hydrated, not constipated, and very healthy. This is only my second cat and my first one got sick and died very suddenly. I always felt like I missed signs or could have done something. So I’m extra observant to any changes now so I can get it taken care of right away.