Going To The Vet!

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have at least partially socialized a feral cat. I am finally comfortable touching, petting and picking him up. It is time to take him to the vet. There is a very good practice that will provide me with a free exam and discounted services since he is a rescue. I have read that the vet is very talented and great at minimizing stress for the animals. It appeals to me that she works with feral cats often.

He has an appointment tomorrow. The only problem is that the vet is over half an hour away. There is a vet that is closer but I am not a fan. I am sure of my choice of vet but a little nervous about the distance.

Any tips for a first car ride? It will also be his first time at a vet and his first time in a carrier.

I am bit nervous. He is an unneutered male and he sprays. I am hoping he will not do so in my truck. I guess I will put the carrier on the floor and put some kind of liner around it. Any encouragement or tips welcome. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would bring a plastic bag, some towels and wet wipes. Place a towel over the seat in the car before putting his carrier in and a towel in the carrier. The rest is just in case he pees in the carrier you can do a quick clean of the carrier while he is getting his exam.

I have a former feral who has done 20 minute drives. She tends to do better if someone she knows is in the back seat with her and the carrier is turned to face the person. You could also put his carrier in the front seat if it's just you. However you position it resist the urge to put fingers in the carrier or on top of. In his fear he could claw or scratch you even through the bars/holes of the carrier.

Even with the best set up expect him to cry the whole way. I tend to talk to my guys but they seem to cry if I am or am not talking to them. Usually the ride home is quieter.

Good luck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
heh, feral or no (he's not), my complete lineage is pretty much cursed up one side and down the other the entire trip there

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Put something of yours that you’ve recently worn in the cage, hopefully something soft he can lay on. Cover the cage with a blanket. It tends to calm them.
Of my 7 rescues I have some who never make a sound, some criers and two who scream all the way there and back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I am gearing up to go right now. I appreciate the advice. Sometimes I get anxious about things and it helps to talk to people who have traveled this road.

This cat has lived in the forest for years. He was never really friendly to me until I built him a shelter on my porch. After that, he has loved me. He came in the house when it was subzero windchill and has not left. I have to keep him in the basement. He seems to truly love being a house cat. I feel that he is exhausted from living outdoors. He is also sick (lots of mucus, sneezing, runny eyes and nose). Hopefully, I can get him fixed up so that he can be neutered. After that, if he stops spraying, he will have full reign of the house and be a beloved housecat. That's what I am hoping for. He is very docile and gentle. He is my first male cat and I was expecting more aggression from him, but he is gentle as a lamb. I am really surprised by how sweet he is.

Thanks again!

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It went great! He behaved beautifully. He was completely silent in the car, both ways. He cooperated with the vets and seemed to actually like them. He does not have any of the bad cat diseases. I found out that he is 8 years old and most of his teeth are missing or broken, poor little guy. Anyway, it went very well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so lucky to have a quiet one. I took some kittens to a home 70 miles away and I actually thought I would either go deaf from the noise or insane! Since then I have learned to cover the carrier which helps!

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They will neuter him in two weeks. Right now he has an upper respiratory infection and an infection in his eyes. He received an injection of antibiotics which will slowly release into his system. I will also be giving him eye drops on a daily basis. They gave him de-worming meds. In two weeks, he will have surgery and vaccines.

I knew he was an adult, but I did not expect him to be 8. I hope that litterbox training might still be possible. Right now I just let him in and out like a dog and he occasionally claims something by spraying on it.

Anyway, the practice was amazing. The vet does about $100,000 worth of free medical care for ferals and strays every year and she owns 20 cats. It is in Saginaw, Michigan if anyone is looking for a good vet in that area. I am so happy I went there.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, you found two gems, your baby and a great vet!

Glad things went so well. Sounds like the poor guy had a rough life till you...great job.

BTW I suspect the spraying will quit a while after he is neutered.

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Trudy! I hope so. He's shown great intelligence and adaptability so far, so I am optimistic. I will definitely come here when I need guidance or encouragement.