Going to my first cat show today!

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to my first cat show today, can't wait. We aren't planning on getting any cats but I just want to see some breeds I've only read about. And I'm interested in seeing some 'full bred' kitties that I've only ever seen mixes of. All in all, it's just for my entertainment. I can't wait. :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to my first cat show today, can't wait. We aren't planning on getting any cats but I just want to see some breeds I've only read about. And I'm interested in seeing some 'full bred' kitties that I've only ever seen mixes of. All in all, it's just for my entertainment. I can't wait. :nod:
Ohhhh..... Leave the credit cards home! :lol3: and enjoy! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try also to talk with the owners about their cats. Most are just happy to talk with interested strangers.

As long as you dont try to ask the breeders if they do have faulty kittens which they can sell for half price.

Pet quality kittens do happen even with very good breeders, and all serious breeders make sure they got good homes (hopefully for a reasonably price, they must make a living them too).  But hinting their breeding programme produces faulty kittens to be sold off for half price is not kind to say to them.

Better to say something like that: I just love to have such a cat a member of my family, I dont care so much for participating in shows.  Im content to just goo look the shows.

IF the breeder has a pet quality kitten for a reduced price, she will mention it.

But, it is often the other way around.  One Swedish Russian blue breeder told me the full story (breeders usually dont tell all details with prices and everything):

They had 4 nice qood quality kittens in the litter.  All were sold for full price, almost 1000 dollars apiece, as pets  (very common in Sweden - reduction for pet quality goes firstly when there are apparent faults making unusable for shows or breeding, OR the kitten is expressively prohibited to be used in breeding).

But ALL the four new owners changed their mind with time, and did participated in shows, and let the young studs be on the stud list for stud services.

The breeder was of course very happy, because although she accepted the kittens would get homes as pets, she hoped they would do also something more in life.   Spreading also extra glory to her Breeding name.

So can it be in Sweden, Im sure it can be somewhat similiar in other countries and associations too.

Good luck and much enjoyment!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you have a great day :)
Pet quality kittens do happen even with very good breeders, and all serious breeders make sure they got good homes (hopefully for a reasonably price, they must make a living them too). 
That's why we work full time, there's no living to me made with breeding! All breeders have a standard pet price and breeding quality price (though many don't sell breeding cats so they go as lovely pets)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We made it home without a single purchase! Although one rescue group almost convinced us to foster a kitty for them that would have been right up our alley (1 yo Ragdoll mix, mother of 7 kittens, she weighs only 4 lbs and is terrified). We just can't do it, which makes me sad. But, we have a house full that need us.

We saw two STUNNING Norwegian Forest cat kittens that the breeder just handed to us to hold. They haven't been shown yet so she wants them to get used to all kinds of handling. The male was orange and HUGE. She feels like he will be her next International winner and the female was a tri-color? she expected to be the next queen at her cattery. My goodness they were amazing. She was putting on a hard sell for their siblings, whom she left at home but is trying to sell.

We also saw TONS of Bengals. Including a silver that was gorgeous. And too many orientals to count....now I understand what a wedge head is. Their heads were tiny. And their ears were huge. There were oriental kitties for sale, the Norwegians, bombays and a big pile of tonkenese, oh, and an American curl, I believe. She was doing a hard sell on us for him too, I didn't even ask how much. :lol3:

Very cool day all in all. I loved the breeders that opened the tents to let us look and pet their kitties. They told us alot about their breeds and really seemed to enjoy showing them off.

This appears to have been a small show, I'll check out a larger show around here sometime, it was a ton of fun.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How exciting for you to actually be able to go to a cat show!! Please do share if you go to another one--I can live vicariously through you.

Gotta say as far as breeds go, Norwegian Forest cats are next in line for me after Maine Coons, then come Ragdolls. Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest cats have a similar look is probably why.

I found it odd that the Swedish breeder would allow her pet quality kitties to not be neutered/spayed after going to their new homes. When I got my Maine Coon, Maxie, it was required that he be neutered, NOT declawed, and proof sent to my breeder in her contract. Never did send her proof, but we became friends so that is probably why. I did have Maxie neutered, and did not declaw (that was a non-issue for me) him because I didn't buy into the hype anymore about declawing. What I did find disconcerting was that while at the vet a couple had brought their Ragdoll girl in (half the size of Maxie, but same age) to be spayed AND declawed--the vet provided separate billings for this because they were NOT to declaw their kitty. If it was now, I would get a little talkative and "inadvertently" find out who the breeder was to inform them of this. I paid $800 for my Maxie, and he was worth every penny of it! So are my rescued kitties, though. I just plain love all kitties--a dollar amount does not dictate how special they are--they are priceless. Sorry I digressed.

For you breeders out there, is it common to sell pet quality and they end up NOT being neutered or spayed and allowed to breed? That would tick me off to no end.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I found it odd that the Swedish breeder would allow her pet quality kitties to not be neutered/spayed after going to their new homes.
Now, they didnt were pet quality!  They did well at shows when they after awhile got there. They were also paid full price for.   So no shadow on THESE buyers nor this breeder.

It is common in Sweden cats are sold as "pets". One reason is because we want them to be happy family members. Calling them for pets means also the new owner do quarantee they will be family members, family inhouse pets. 

Another reason is because it is difficult to quarantee a kitten of 12 weeks (still younger when the sale is agreed upon) WILL be a good show cat.  You cant even quarantee she will be a good breeding cat atlhough good lineage. She may get sick and unable to be a queen.  So that is why they are usually sold as "pets".  Although both seller and buyer knows they are aimed for active service.   :)

Some buyers KNOWS they want a breeding cat, or even a good show cat having chances fo gettinging Best in Show.

Many buyers are thinking a little on it, but had not decided yet.  So most of swedish kittens are sold as "pets", but usually with the doors open if both breeder and buyer are happy with it.

Another reason is, the tradition in Sweden if of rather late spayings. 

So, unless with clear faults and sold for reduced price, they are almost all sold at full price.

This means also, you can get a very good lineage cat, full breeding potential and also with potential for good showing results, at the same normal, full price.

Unless there is some very unusual strait, say parent a very good import, where the price may be higher.

Or really stunning show potential.

That said, there IS the problem you do mention.

Typically, someone begs the breeder to get a kitten cheaper.  So the kitten is sold as pet-qualtiy, although being first rate.

And it happens not so few do uses after all such a cat in breeding.  They say a agreement is just a piece of paper. And the owner has always the last word....

The Law doesnt bother much about such "small" errands either.

Some wise breeder may write in the pedigree paper  NOT FOR BREEDING, with copy to the association.  So this trick stops the problem.  A detailed, clear cut, contract do also help some.

But if the breeder trust an untrustworthy person, whola, there it goes,  hay and ho!

We dont have in Sweden much of ByB breeders, but apparently there are some even here...   :(

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For you breeders out there, is it common to sell pet quality and they end up NOT being neutered or spayed and allowed to breed? That would tick me off to no end.
Never happen to me, mine are all spayed/neutered at 10 weeks. Most breeders neuter before 12-14 weeks and the kittens go home with their registered pedigree papers.

BYB's don't care about ever getting papers, as they never intend to register litters, so withholding papers until proof of altering is a waste of time.