Going to dental tomorrow for senior cat..should I be worried?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My senior tortie has some gum infection and I have no choice but to let her go for dental. They will do a xray to check whether she has decaying tooth and will do extractions if needed. As she is of an age (about 12 Y.O), I am scared something might possibly happen to her. I have asked the vet and he says cases are rare. Is any catpawrent as anxious as me when they send the cats for dental? Just the thought of her going on anaesthesia scares me..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When a cat is older, many vets will do a pre-anesthetic physical exam and blood work screening to help catch pre-existing health issues, which can go a long way in determining any risk factors for your cat to undergo anesthesia. As is common for older humans, an EKG might be also done to make sure your cat's heart/lungs look healthy. There are steps that can be taken to mitigate the risks if anything is identified during the testing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat is older, many vets will do a pre-anesthetic physical exam and blood work screening to help catch pre-existing health issues
I agree completely and cannot stress enough how important this precautionary step is when a cat goes in for a dental especially seniors.

I understand how worried you are about anesthesia and possible extractions. Did your vet do bloodwork prior to your cat's dental cleaning? Make sure they give you something for pain after the procedure particularly if there are extractions. Fingers crossed all goes well and please keep us posted after she comes home.:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree completely and cannot stress enough how important this precautionary step is when a cat goes in for a dental especially seniors.

I understand how worried you are about anesthesia and possible extractions. Did your vet do bloodwork prior to your cat's dental cleaning? Make sure they give you something for pain after the procedure particularly if there are extractions. Fingers crossed all goes well and please keep us posted after she comes home.:crossfingers:
She did a normal blood test a few days ago and the results are generally healthy. I hope there is no more extractions for her as she extracted 3 a few years ago and I don’t think she has much tooth left. Sigh I’m just so worried and she has begun fasting for her dental tomorrow :(

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When a cat is older, many vets will do a pre-anesthetic physical exam and blood work screening to help catch pre-existing health issues, which can go a long way in determining any risk factors for your cat to undergo anesthesia. As is common for older humans, an EKG might be also done to make sure your cat's heart/lungs look healthy. There are steps that can be taken to mitigate the risks if anything is identified during the testing.
Hi, I went to check the receipt and it shows she did a Procyte (preGA) and Chem10 blood test. Not sure if it’s the more in depth test for senior cats but will these suffice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Procyte is a more extensive version of the CBC test - not sure what the 'preGA' stands for. So, it sounds like your vet is doing the basic protocol. I think the EKG, or rather ECG, may be something that some vets don't feel the need to do. You could just ask your vet about this and see what they say. Having them explain their thought process wilt give you peace of mind about why they don't think it is necessary.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi T traveil -

If you'd be interested in a reliable plain-language A-Z coverage of dental health, the one I've found most helpful is this.

While the overall focus of that site is kidney health, the core information there is common to all cats.

Hope it can help!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good advice above, but also try to remember that your cat could die from her infection if you don't do this. You are doing this in her best interest, not for silly reasons. Also, cats can eat pretty well with even minimal teeth. Everyone here will hope all goes well and smoothly! Keep us updated.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, she is safely back at home after her dental and a total of 3 tooth extracted with 2 being surgically removed. She is feeling super drowsy now and hid at a corner behind the sofa where we are unable to touch her (we could but it’s difficult) and she does not seem to have appetite to eat. Is this normal? And she just lie at the corner with her eyes wide opened..she’s breathing yeah but it just scares me… What can it be done to make her feel more comfortable? She needs to eat wet food until they take her stitches out for next review. Attached picture of her being very very lifeless…
IMG_8399.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a while to come out of the anesthesia. Everything sounds normal. some cats are hungry right away, some don't eat for a day or two. She is hurting and wants to be left alone. Make sure she has water in a bowl nearby and offer some wet food when she gets a little more active. (at least a few more hours) She may need a litter box moved closer too. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear she did well! The post-affects should ease in a day or two. Baby her! The pain meds might also make her a bit off too.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, she has woken up and seemingly very disturbed by her two canine bottom tooth is missing. She keeps trying to scratch her mouth with her paw. Should I get her a cone to prevent her wound from reopening? And she went back to her corner to feel really depressed again. It makes me feel heartbroken..

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she's pawing a lot at her mouth, I would maybe cone her for a little bit. They sent you home with pain medication, right?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's pawing a lot at her mouth, I would maybe cone her for a little bit. They sent you home with pain medication, right?
Yes they did. But it was for tomorrow as they have already fed for today. Does losing the important 2 bottom teeth makes her any different? Will she continue to be depressed?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think so, but this is all new... Give it some time. Love on her, pamper her... She should come back to herself.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi T traveil -
To me, her "trying to scratch her mouth with her paw" and her withdrawing to an inaccessible corner >>> well, that says/indicates that her mouth is painful.

Two points:
  1. what pain med was given at the clinic? (look at your invoice) - PLUS - what is the name of the pain med you have at home "for tomorrow?"
  2. if she were here ("my cat"), I would be calling the Vet, explaining that she seems to be 'hurting' and asking if I should start giving her that take-home med today

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Buprenorphine, (Buprenex), is usually given after dental surgery. It is normally very effective in providing pain relief. It's not unusual for a cat to feel some sensitivity for up to one - two weeks. I hope she starts to feel better soon. :alright:

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys. Thanks for the advises. After a nights sleep with plenty of rest for myself, I realised I overreacted as I woke up to find this cat sleeping beside me in this position as per attached photo - all my worries was instantly gone. She still eats minimally like 2 sips but she’s going to toilet and drinking water as per usual. Sources says she meowed very loudly this morning while I’m sleeping. This should be a good sign. She no longer try to scratch her mouth and walks like a sassy girl like before. Ok edit: She still scratches her mouth and I put a cone on her and she hated it. I will continue to monitor until her next appointment and hope nothing major happens.
IMG_8403.jpeg

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t know that I would do the cone. I would however make sure she eats. It is important she eats as cats can get something called hepatic lipidosis aka fatty liver disease if they don’t. So if she isn’t eating by morning, a call to your vet is in order.
She is very pretty.
If you think about how much it would hurt if you had two of your bottom teeth pulled, think root canal x 4. She will have pain and the pawing is pain.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys it’s me again..after days of monitoring, I feel that she doesn’t want to eat much with her bottom tooth removed. She tries to eat solid food which I have cut it to become super small but will eventually spit out. She has finished her painkillers and does still drool but vet says it’s normal.. The vet appointment is in 2 days time but i’m anxious. I got those purée like wet food for her but she doesn’t like too. But she still eat her jelly canned food a little..I am worried for her. She only wants to eat certain treats which I got from overseas but it has ran out. I tried multiple treats yet she sniffed and say nope. I’m at a loss. I actually did buy a lot of different gravy type canned food for her to try but I’m scared it’s bad for her stomach for switching brands so occasionally. She’s still playing well and pooping well but the food she eats is really little. 🥹🥹