Going on vacation WITH cats

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's parents have a really big vacation house in the country area. It is a 1 hour and a half car ride from where we live. The house is maybe 5 times bigger than our apartment and no one lives there. It is only used in the summer as a vacation house.

As we will have a very light summer because I am an assistant lecturer and my bf is renegotiating his contract to work from home, we are seriously considering staying there for longer periods during the summer. But that will only work for me if I will take my kitties with me. The most I have been away from them is for 4 nights and I do not want to stay away from them longer than that - on the 4th night all I did was look at photos of them and talk about them, even if I knew that their sitter was great with them (she is a very good friend and stays with them when we are away).

The ideal scenario is that the five of us (me, my boyfriend and the three cats)  go there and stay for at least two weeks, to let them get used to the place and if they seem fine, we could stay for maybe two months. Of course that at first they will stay only in our room, and if they settle in well we will let them have the roam of the house. They have these long stairs from the living room to the first floor and huge hallways and I can imagine them running all over the place. The living room alone is bigger than our entire apartment. They would be indoor only, as they are now.

However, I am pretty sure that dumb, dumber and dumbest will not see the house as big and fun, but scary and traumatizing. We tried taking just Sophie there last summer and she stayed under the couch and I stayed on the floor crying and begging her to come out. On the third day we went home. Amelie is even shier and I do not want to traumatize her (she hides all the time when someone comes over, only allows me and  my bf to touch her), so all hope is on Harley, the bravest of the bunch, who has this profound curiosity that makes him come out of the carrier and explore the place even when at the vet's office.

Of course we would take their stuff with us - litter boxes, toys, beds.

So am I day dreaming or is this possible?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tough question. I think so much depends on the personalities of the cats. Do you think that Sophie and Amelie will adjust eventually? Have you ever moved with your cats? If so, how long did it take for them to feel comfortable at the new place? I think it's possible to do. It may just be a case of trying it out. Hopefully if everyone's there and all of their stuff is there, they might settle in more quickly than you think. You might want to try Feliway and putting some of their stuff and your stuff at the summer place a few days before you move them to make the place smell more familiar to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I have considered Feliway, I will use it if I decide to take them with us.

I have not moved with them and I know how sensitive they are to changes in their routine, so the more I think about it, the more I fear the possible consequences - traumatizing them, making them live in fear and so on.

Out of all the friends with cats I have, there is one colleague of mine that has one house in the city and one house 30 minutes outside the city. She lives in the city from Monday to Wednesday, and outside the city from Wednesday night to Monday morning. Her two cats travel with her and although they obviously like one house better that the other, they do not seemed traumatized by the constant moving. The younger cat (not a year old yet) was raised like this, the older cat (18 years) has been introduced to this style of living about 6-7 years ago.

Of course, this is the ONLY positive example I know. But it gives me hope.

Right now I have no idea what I will do. I so need a break from the city and from this small and congested apartment, but I definitely do not want a break from my kitties.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is totally possible to have your cats with you at the summer home, but the success with this will depend on your approach and comfort level. If you feel doubtful, the cats may pick up on this. The calmer and more assured you can be, the better things will go. I know that may sound trite, but its true.

When my husband and I decided to move in together, the one challenge we were faced with was how to move his adult cat from his small highrise apartment to a ground-floor house apartment. This cat was ULTRA sensitive to noise, strangers and very guarded and protective. He had only known life with my husband in that small apartment for many years. A cat carrier was out of the question, so, we devised a large cardboard box which we made holes in to bring 'Gustav' to the new place. We were not sure how things would go, but giving him up was not an option. I sat in the backseat with Gustav in the box, for the ride to the new place. Turns out, he adjusted pretty well and actually seemed to thrive in the new place in having so much more room to explore and more windows to look out of. We were quite relieved.

Some fear and reluctance is totally normal I think and something you have to be prepared to work with. You will need to recognize those moments and take steps to comfort and help your cats to see that the other place, while different, is okay for them. There will be a period of adjustment as with anything else. Lots of familiar things, using feliway spray, spending LOTS of time down on the floor at their level in the beginning will go a long way in helping your kitties to feel comfortable at the new place.

I wish you good success with this! ...

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I think it is totally possible to have your cats with you at the summer home, but the success with this will depend on your approach and comfort level. If you feel doubtful, the cats may pick up on this. The calmer and more assured you can be, the better things will go. I know that may sound trite, but its true.
this is great advice. and i agree with this. so much. just from personal experience that has happened recently!

i plan on going for a 2-3 day get away next month for my birthday. i found a place that is a cabin in the woods type deal by a lake, and it allows pets. so i'm super stoked. i get to have my babies with me. i would enjoy myself much better if they were with me, but i am nervous about the car ride there and them being in a new house. 

one of my skittish kitties, she's good in the car, but in a new environment she's really scared and hides. my other cat, the confident one, hates being in the car, but when he gets to a new place he's good and acclimates within minutes. i will start harness training them soon, and would LIKE to take them out for a walk while out in the forest...don't know if it will happen, but it's worth a try. 

There is no question on whether or not i will take them, i'm just nervous about how they'll handle it, but i have to put on a tough and happy face for them. i'm hoping this rubs off on them enough for them to also have a good time. i'll have a bag of melatonin and calming treats ready and accessible in case i see one of them getting a bit too stressed tho! lol

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We didn't get the chance to try it out. My bf changed his mind about working from home, so he got a new job and he has to be there from Monday to Friday.

We have decided to take them with us in August, when there are some official free days and I am pretty excited about that. It will be seven nights.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we went on a one week vacation with our three cats. It was a one hour and a half car ride to a huge country house. On the road they behaved very well, each in his own carrier. Harley sometimes let us know with a howl that he totally disapproves, but all in all it was ok.

Once we got there we took them to our room on the first floor. In this room there were two litterboxes we brought from home, some of their toys, a Feliway diffuser, some chairs and an expandable sofa. All three cats hid under the sofa.

This is Harley, torn between the desire to stay under the sofa and his infinite love for food.

Because the sofa was too close to the ground and we thought the cats are getting squashed there, we brought 4 bricks to put under the feet of the sofa to provide more height.

First three days they would only come out from under there if me or my bf were in the room with them. They growled at every noise they heard, but at night they felt safe enough to roam around the room, look outside the window, eat, play and use the litterboxes. We kept the door to our room closed at all times, even if no one came to this floor (my boyfriend's parents stayed in their room at ground floor).

Starting with the forth day me, my bf and the cats had the house to ourselves so we started leaving the door to our room opened. I have found them in the forth or fifth night exploring the hall, and by the sixth night they ventured into the bathroom and in another room, on the other side of the first floor (one floor is twice as big than our one bedroom apartment). I do not know if they ventured down the stairs.

And so we decided to stress them even more:

Harley the Brave, quite intrigued by all that... air and... space and... stuff

Sophie protesting that her paws are getting dirty

And Amelie, plotting revenge against the human kind, the grass, the earth, the bugs and the sun.

So for three cats that are indoors only and that only leave our apartment to go to the vet, it was quite an experience. My biggest worry was that they do not eat enough, because the first 3 days they went into this survival mode and only ate during the night.

Once we got home and they slept for 20 hours straight they went back to their routine with no issues. But Amelie especially, who is the most skittish, seemed happy to be back home.