Going on vacation-separation anxiety

robinnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am going on vacation and taking my two cats (both 7 year old females) to my mom's house for five days. She has two cats, a male who is 1 and a female who is older, maybe 9 or 10. My mom is planning to keep my two cats in a separate room, but I am still worried about the stress that being away from me and being in a new environment will cause my cats. I was wondering first off, do cats have a good memory of people? They have met my mom many, many times when she has come over to my place, and secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier for my kitties?

Normally, I would not bring them into a new environment, but my boyfriend and I live with his grandparents who are unable to care for the animals while we are away, and I feel better having my mom around to take care of them.

Thanks you!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hi & welcome to TCS!

I don't have any experience w/ this, but have some suggestions that may help.

I would make sure you bring any beds or Banky's of theirs, so they feel at home and comfortable.

I would also give them a T.shirt that you've slept in or something like that, so that they have your smell w/ them.

-And don't forget their fav. toys!

I'm sure others will come along w/ more advise, I hope this helps & Good luck!

Let us know how it goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robinnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I like the idea of bringing some items that have my scent on them, like blankets and t-shirts. That makes alot of sense, and I will definitely do that!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they have a favorite cat scratcher, cat tree and/or toy, I'd put them in the room, too.

I feel your pain; I'm going on vacation for ten days and know I'm going to miss Ritz. 

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have a favorite cat scratcher, cat tree and/or toy, I'd put them in the room, too.

I feel your pain; I'm going on vacation for ten days and know I'm going to miss Ritz. 

Did you ever find or get a stuffed animal to look just like him? :)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I found a company that will make a stuffed animal that looks just Ritz. 

Note that there is a three to four-month time lag, they are that busy and it takes that long. 

http://www.heidiandco.com

I haven't decided whether the spend the $250.   I'm afraid I'd leave her in Greece.  I once left one of my favorite stuffed animals in Ireland.  I knew what hotel/room number I stayed in and the hotel eventually returned "Pluto" to me. I can't count on being that lucky again.

I'm going to bring pictures of Ritz, perhaps on my laptop.  I've also made some preliminary arrangements to do some volunteer work with stray/feral cats while in Athens and Santorini so I can get my daily "drug".  I'm telling myself I can NOT bring home a real live cat as a souvenir.

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Robin,

I know how difficult it is to have our cats that we love, and stressing a bit over how to best make them comfortable.  You've been given some great advice up above.  When you set up their cat room at your mom's house, take one of their towels that you know has their scent and rub it along the wall (at the height where they would normally rub), furniture edges...anywhere that will be in their "nose site"...if they smell their own scent around like that, it too will help them feel better.

When I was going to be away for several days, even though my husband would be here to tend Britches, I purchased, in advance, and began using the Feliway plug in diffuser.  It puts out the same pheromones that are released by the cat when they rub...the "feel good pheromones".  Look online for a coupon from Feliway before purchasing...it's a bit expensive, but worth it on special circumstances.

Don't overlook the value of soft classical harp music.  Put a CD player in the room and set it to play all the time...very, very softly.  Harp music has been shown to be especially soothing. 

Another thought, if in advance you could trade a towel with your cats scent and get one with your mom's cats scent...then place the towels down where you will be feeding your cats, it will allow them to get a little used to the scent of the "unknown animals" that will be in their presence!

Good luck, and I hope that your trip is fun and your cats are relaxed when you return!

Until next time...Annie

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a good friend who runs a very good cattery, and mostly it's the owners who get separation anxiety!  My own cats are in a cattery right now (major work going on in the house), and they will be all over me when I collect them for 10 minutes or so, then they will be far more interested in going out and checking out the changes in the house.  Maybe it helps there are two of them, litter mates, who adore each other, but none of the cats I've had have suffered in a good cattery.  It is of course common in dogs, but since dogs have owners and cats have staff that might help explain why the two are so different...

Both my friends cattery and the one my cats are in are FAB listed, which is the UK gold standard for catteries.  Sadly the scheme is being wound down.

Last edited: