Going off to college soon, cat hates everyone besides me

grandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going off to college in about 4 months, and my cat is only comfortable around me. My parents are gone most of the day, and when they come home my cat turns from being relaxed and lovable to completely tense. He growls and either runs off somewhere or hides besides/under my bed or desk. During the night when they are asleep, my cat gets comfortable again. He jumps on my bed and purrs very loudly, hogging up a lot of my bed. We used to have another cat (that we got before him), and when that cat started becoming sick we paid almost all of our attention to him instead of the now-frightened cat (and he would spend most of his time hiding under a bed). After our cat unfortunately passed away, it took a while for us to get my scaredy cat to stop hiding underneath the bed (it was mainly my parents' bed). I've been trying to get my cat more comfortable with my parents, especially my mom. To do so I walk into my parents room with my cat and cat brush because he obsesses over that thing. Without it, he'll sprint out of the room in seconds. I've been trying this both when my parents are home and when they aren't because I think that it might have something to do with him remembering all the time he spent under that bed, but I don't know. He gets comfortable when nobody is in their room besides me and the cat brush, but when my mom is in the room he gets tense, but will stay for just a little before sprinting away. He's friendly with my dad, but only when he's in the kitchen because my cat always thinks he'll receive cat treats. 

I'm sorry if I put a lot of unnecessary details, but I thought it would give a better idea of my situation. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get my cat to like my parents in less than 4 months? If anybody could help, thank you so much!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, grandcat

Four months is a while to work with.  The important thing is to get your parents to do the things he loves... feed him, brush him, play with him. If you can make things a routine, too, that really helps.

I think Feliway diffusers are often helpful to settle cats too.

You'll need to do everything slowly and gently but hopefully it will work.