Going For Walks In Winter

JustAnOnion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been working with my kitty Mothman to get him used to going for walks and he absolutely loves them. The only problem is he gets cold very quickly every time we go out and since I live in Idaho it’ll only get colder.

I have a backpack carrier that I carry him in and I’ve been putting hand warmers at the bottom under a blanket so he can hop in when he gets cold. Only thing is he absolutely refuses to go back in the backpack by himself and will march on as he’s starting to shiver. I always try to keep a close eye on him and when he seems to get very cold I put him in the back pack and usually bring him back inside. I’m looking at maybe somethings that might help to keep him warm and hopefully his coat will grow in thicker as the winter goes on.

I’ve read online and most people say cats will be fine without warm clothing or boots but I think he might benefit from being outside for longer than just a few minutes at a time. Do you guys have any experience or recommendations for things to get? I’m not sure if he’d love to have boots on, but he’s a super laid back cat and just goes with the flow.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, you could try booties although he may not like them.
You're sure the hand warmers aren't too hot in the backpack?
When the temperature gets below 30 degrees F my cat isn't out very long at all :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustAnOnion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, you could try booties although he may not like them.
You're sure the hand warmers aren't too hot in the backpack?
When the temperature gets below 30 degrees F my cat isn't out very long at all :)
I don’t think they’ve gotten too hot since there’s a few layers of blanket the heat has to travel through but I’ll have to check them and see how warm they actually get in the backpack. Thank you for your reply! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would be the only thing I could think of as to why he's a bit reluctant to go back in, although you could "sweeten" the deal with a treat or two after you've put him in and he might eventually start hopping in on his own...;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds just like a kid in a swimming pool - blue lips, goose bumps, and shaking but telling you, "no Mom I'm not cold"! Sometimes, you just gotta say "Ok, that's it".

I would agree to make sure the backpack isn't just a tad too warm. And, like Furballsmom Furballsmom said, a treat or two sure wouldn't hurt!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kinda sensitive to smell and where I love the hand warmers when you first get them started they have a strong scent. Perhaps if you got them going an hour before putting them into the enclosed backpack it might take the edge off the scent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustAnOnion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It sounds just like a kid in a swimming pool - blue lips, goose bumps, and shaking but telling you, "no Mom I'm not cold"! Sometimes, you just gotta say "Ok, that's it".

I would agree to make sure the backpack isn't just a tad too warm. And, like Furballsmom Furballsmom said, a treat or two sure wouldn't hurt!
Lol it’s pretty much exactly like that! I’ll have to try some treats and see if that will entice him.

I'm kinda sensitive to smell and where I love the hand warmers when you first get them started they have a strong scent. Perhaps if you got them going an hour before putting them into the enclosed backpack it might take the edge off the scent?
I didn’t think about the smell of them. That’s a good idea, thank you!

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so I want to leash train my kittens who are currently 5 months old but we're in the dead of winter and experiencing temperatures (with wind chill factor) of 0 to -20 C (32 to -13 F). Is this too cold? Should I wait until spring? And what about when winter rolls around again? Do I stop taking them for walks?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You could start training them now, but you might want to wait until spring before going outside. I try to keep my boy in when it gets below 32 F, plus he hates it when it's windy, so those days are taken care of as soon as he sticks his nose out the door and the cold wind blows into his ears :)

For other entertainment during the winter months you could look into some of these;

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

https://heavy-com.cdn.ampproject.or...y.com/pets/2018/10/best-interactive-cat-toys/

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
You could start training them now, but you might want to wait until spring before going outside. I try to keep my boy in when it gets below 32 F, plus he hates it when it's windy, so those days are taken care of as soon as he sticks his nose out the door and the cold wind blows into his ears :)

For other entertainment during the winter months you could look into some of these;

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

https://heavy-com.cdn.ampproject.or...y.com/pets/2018/10/best-interactive-cat-toys/

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Yeah I think that's what I'll do. They're used to wearing a harness from when I strap them into their car seat but not used to being on a leash. So I'll get them used to that and maybe we can go outside in April.

and OMG I really love the ripple rug and I'm sure they'd love it because they like their tunnel and going under my kitchen mat but my apartment is so small I don't know where I'd put it.

I made my own box with holes in it and put toys and treats in it and they love it.