Going Down The Adoption Route.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend and I want to add one more cat to our family and I’d like to adopt one from a shelter or rescue this time. I’d immediately take it to my vet and get him or her checked out, but would there be a need to quarantine the new cat at someone’s house that doesn’t have any cats just in case? If so, for how long? My current three are up to date on their vaccines and are very healthy and I’d like to keep them that way. I’m trying to make sure I’m doing everything right before running off and bringing home whatever kitty I fall in love with.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Any good shelter will have the cat up to date as far as vaccines and vet care. And a good vet will usually do a free first visit to look over a shelter kitty just in case. Plus it's good to just get them on record for future visits.

You should keep the new one separate simply because of the introduction process. Google "slow introduction for cats" for doing things the right way and avoiding fights.
I did it the wrong way and just dumped them all together, and over 3 years later we're all paying for it. So I'm doing the process now to hopefully "re-start". :)

Definitely don't stash the new kitty at another house, you'd really confuse it moving it around that much. No need to keep traumatizing it.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 2 week quarantine is good for a cat from the shelter. You never know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any good shelter will have the cat up to date as far as vaccines and vet care. And a good vet will usually do a free first visit to look over a shelter kitty just in case. Plus it's good to just get them on record for future visits.

You should keep the new one separate simply because of the introduction process. Google "slow introduction for cats" for doing things the right way and avoiding fights.
I did it the wrong way and just dumped them all together, and over 3 years later we're all paying for it. So I'm doing the process now to hopefully "re-start". :)

Definitely don't stash the new kitty at another house, you'd really confuse it moving it around that much. No need to keep traumatizing it.
Thank you for the advice. I don’t know why I never thought changing the cat’s surroundings twice would be a problem. I don’t want him or her to get used to being one place, then have me be like welp, I’m taking you home today! I have a finished basement. It’s basically my man cave and it can be the new kitty’s abode for two weeks then I’ll start the slow introduction process. My cats are accepting of any new comer because I often cat sit, but I won’t know the temperament of the newbie so I’m sure it will be a process.

A 2 week quarantine is good for a cat from the shelter. You never know!
Appreciate the advice!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge were both adopted from the local rescue centre; and they were fully vaccinated before we got them. When we went to collect them to take them home, the volunteers at the shelter ran us through all the different vaccines they'd recently had and any medical conditions or illnesses they had whilst with them (Toffee and Fudge had both had the cat flu when they were rescued and Toffee had a case of diarrhoea due to his delicate stomach being the runt of the litter a week before we took them home). I don't know about cat introductions since my boys are brothers so were used to each other beforehand, though I agree that putting them in separate rooms seems best - that way they can familiarise themselves with your house before having to be nervous about meeting each other.
I'd definitely recommend adoption rather than buying from a breeder. There are so many cats out there needing new, good loving homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge were both adopted from the local rescue centre; and they were fully vaccinated before we got them. When we went to collect them to take them home, the volunteers at the shelter ran us through all the different vaccines they'd recently had and any medical conditions or illnesses they had whilst with them (Toffee and Fudge had both had the cat flu when they were rescued and Toffee had a case of diarrhoea due to his delicate stomach being the runt of the litter a week before we took them home). I don't know about cat introductions since my boys are brothers so were used to each other beforehand, though I agree that putting them in separate rooms seems best - that way they can familiarise themselves with your house before having to be nervous about meeting each other.
I'd definitely recommend adoption rather than buying from a breeder. There are so many cats out there needing new, good loving homes.
This will be my first time adopting from a shelter. All three of our cats have came from amazing breeders and I would recommend them to people if they were loooking for something specific, but they're still making more cats that may one day turn into a shelter cat. I want to adopt so I can take home a shelter kitty and give him or her a great life.

My girlfriend and I have also been thinking about rescuing and fostering two cats at a time until we can find them a forever home that will suit the cat perfectly, then once homes have been found for the both of them, we'll take in two more and the cycle will just keep repeating. It's something that me and my girlfriend think we could handle with the help of some of our family and friends when we are on the road for a few days. Someone will always be home with the cats. Keeping them at home is importamt to me, not that I frown on people who board their animals beccause some don't have any choice. I just prefer to keep my cats in their comfort zone.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on deciding to adopt.

All our cats have been "previously enjoyed" or adopted as kittens and they have brought us an immeasurable amount of joy and happiness over the years.