Going Crazy-foods, Dandruff And More Questions.

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm new. I have 3 cats that are 12, 8 and 4 and recently I am a little less broke so I can feed my cats better. I had been giving friskies cans( cringe, I know) with purina beyond cans and purina beyond dry. Over the years they had tried some other things so this was not their lifelong diet.
Recently I have spent seriously 40+ hours researching cat foods. Talking to pet store owners, reading late at night, driving myself batty!
Having said that, they tried at least 6 or 7 new foods in the last 6 weeks. No throw up, no diarreaha, all seem good and best yet, my 12 year old is now more playful!! We all noticed it.

I narrowed it down and chose a few foods to feed daily. I like to always have 2-3 brands of cans and 2 dry, since I believe rotating foods is better for cats.

NOW, my issue is it seems all 3 cats now have dandruff! CRAZY. I went from purina to Fromm, Earthborn, health extension and Nulo for cans. mostly chicken/turkey, a drop duck and the nulo does have some tuna in it.

For dry I still have the purina beyond to use up and I have mixed in Fussie cat.

They have tried dry earthborn, tender and true , fromm and farmina and I think i am going to go with farmina and a little fussie cat.

They get wet food AM and late afternoon and a little bit of dry at night.

SO! how could it be possible all 3 got dandruff from getting better foods?

or maybe they had it over the years and I never was as tuned into it? haha
or can it be from all the switching and I need to settle on maybe 2 solid lines now....

Also, my older cat now meows , more like yowls when she walks around the house for a brief time each evening . she does not appear in pain, comes when I call and jumps on my bed to cuddle, is playful and friendly as ever. but definitely WAY more vocal. I have read it can be anything from heartburn type pain to happiness. but oddly, she doesn't do it after morning meal so I am not thinking it's the food, it seems to happen more later afternoon and night.

She has been drinking a lot too, so that is concerning. I think? maybe 3-5 times a day, probably more... however she was ALWAYS a big drinker. We used to laugh watching her lap up her water.

My 8 year old fat male, I have never seen him drink...trying to get him to lose weight and not working yet. lol
my 4 year old male drinks once or twice a day that I see, could be more.

I know I've changed subjects. and I rambled.

sorry!
So do you all think these foods are good I may give up fromm as they don't love it and stay with nulo, earthborn and/or health extension for cans. they like all 3.

also, what about the dandruff? and yowling? isn't that odd?
Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Have you made any other changes to their environment? A new cleaning product perhaps (that could explain the dandruff- caused by some skin irritation)? Are there any outdoor cats that they can see through the window (which could cause agitation and howling)? Typically with a food transition, all we see is maybe some diarrhea, but usually only if the food is changed too quickly. I’d also recommend checking in with a vet, since dandruff, and sudden behavioral changes can be a sign of medical issues.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a dandruff issue with one of mine this winter. I think with him it is the dry air in the house, we have had to run the heat a lot this winter. The others might have a little bit of dandruff this winter too, but not noticeable like him. He eats mostly all wet food, just a nibble on dry now and again. Isn't dehydrated or sick at all. i did start offering him an extra can of Tiki after dark a day, hoping the extra moisture would help. He loves the broth in tiki after dark. I think it has helped, but we also are not using the heat as much in the last few weeks either. I dont know, maybe a combination of both.

I dont know about the Health Extensions, i have read quite a bit lately about coconut oil being bad for a cats liver. so i dont feed anything with coconut oil

Mine has had a recent vet wellness check, so i know he is fine. If you are concerned you may want a check up. But an extra Slurpy wet food, and less heat running has helped my guy.