Going away for a few weeks - looking for emotional support/advice

srpjuly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've had my cat Henrietta for almost a year. The TL;DR here is that I'm going away for 2-3 weeks at the end of the summer and I'm super nervous about it. I'm getting a trusted friend to stay with her at my house the whole time, with instructions to keep up her usual routines, but it will still be a challenge for her. Mostly just want to know how you cope with leaving your baby for long periods of time (tips to make it easier for both of us 😭). Right now I feel like I can never do any long trips again because it will be too stressful for her. With any luck we will be in each others lives for 10+ more years, so this makes me really sad. And beyond that, sometimes I don't have a choice (like this trip).

She is my whole world, and I work from home and have been neglecting my social life haha so we spend all day every day together. She was EXTREMELY anxious and skittish when I got her. The foster agency I got her from said she had been born outside and spent her whole life on the street (which I find surprising as they estimate she is between 4-5 years old and I know they're unlikely to take to humans at that point...). She went through a year of socialization in another foster home before I got her, but she was set wayy back when she was attacked and badly injured by their new pet dog and had to be moved :'( Then she was bumped around different foster homes all summer until I finally got her. All that is to say, I worry about disrupting her routines and making her stressed and anxious again, or making her feel like I abandoned her, as we've become extremely close. I've tried to get her more used to me going out for longer periods of time (up to 5 hours so far) but I can tell she's sad whenever I leave the house. She waits for me by the door. She's getting better around new people but is still very timid around them.

She is very needy with play and also very finnicky with it (sometimes I have to try multiple toys before I find one she actually wants to play with even though she's giving me love nibbles telling me she wants to play). I worry that even the best pet sitter might not be able to give her her normal play routine of ~1 hour per day if she's being shy around them. The vet has also diagnosed her with FIC and basically said "limit all stressors", and I know the person she's used to being around 24/7 being gone will be a big one.

Everyone tells me I'm overthinking it but I know this is the only place I can find people who understand that my cat isn't just my pet but is like a daughter to me. Any advice or reassurance is much appreciated 😅

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All I can say is that it usually goes better than you are stressing over 😺

I had to leave my sick cat in the care of multiple friends and trust them to hand off keys, instructions etc to one another and hope they could pill her 3 times a day with multiple medication for a funeral. It went just fine and no one reported any struggles with her AND no one had to hand feed her like I did.

Just plan the best you can like leaving your vet's information and letting your vet know your sitter's info. (When I cat-sat a kitten I once had to bring him to the vet. This was helpful as the sitter 🐱)Also leaving payment information if the vet allows.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You have the best set up in that you have a cat sitter that will be with Henrietta, in her own home, while you are gone!!! I have just a couple-three suggestions that might help even more to alleviate your worries.
1.) have your trusted friend spend time at your home a few times in advance, if your cat does not already know her - and, even if she does. Maybe even involve her in some feedings, treats, and play time. That allows your cat to acclimate to her temporary caretaker.
2.) leave some worn unwashed clothing of yours in her favorite spots, so she has your scent with her in your absence.
3.) if possible, set up some Skype/online time with your friend so you can check in on your cat while you are gone. If your cat pays attention to videos or audios, you could even interact with her during these 'visits'.

And, as mentioned above, make sure your friend has contact information for your vet, and if need be, possible payment arrangements, should Henrietta need to see the vet.

I know you will miss her, and she will likely miss you too, but your friend being there will make that a lot easier on the both of you!

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Girl I completely understand! I have three cats. One needs medication, the other one is super attached to me and my youngest is still a small kitten that I bottle fed and raised and he thinks I’m his mom. I have such bad anxiety whenever I leave them for a trip. So bad I struggle to sleep leading up to the trip. Me and my husband love to travel though and I love to plan trips but when they approach I regret planning them and don’t want to go. However every time I leave I have such a good time and I’m feel better after the first couple days! I did some research on leaving cats for vacations and some cats actually enjoy when you go on vacation since they get more downtime and my cats get extra treats and food while I’m gone. I KNOW it is SO hard to leave your baby but trust me she’ll have lots of fun with your friend and I hope you’ll enjoy your trip! Also something to consider is a baby monitor or camera you can keep in your house to check in on them whenever you want!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This could very well be a good experience in further socializing Henrietta the cat. You have everything set up and can "check in" whenever you want.
Good luck and enjoy your trip ... 👍