Going Away For 2 Weeks And Freaking Out About The Cats!

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This isn't even going to happen for another 7 months, but my husband and I are leaving on vacation for 2 weeks and we have asked our neighbors to come over and feed our cats. They've done it for us a couple times before, but the longest only being 3 days. I have total faith that they will feed them twice a day and scoop litter if necessary. However, we leave the pet door open for our cats all the time. 2 of them could survive inside just fine, but the other 2 have got to go out. We kept the pet door closed every night for about 6 months, but our one cat would drive us nuts scratching at the door to get out. We had two other cats go missing in a 6 month period which prompted me to keep them in at night. My husband feels they need to go out whenever they want. I am afraid that being gone that long, even if the neighbors, who they are familiar with, come over twice a day that they may think we've left them and they'll leave. I would feel so much better keeping them in the house the entire time we're gone, but I'm afraid as to what the house would look like upon our return. Two of them don't even use the litterbox and go outside.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
If no one is there than no one will be annoyed by cats scratching to go out. Block the cat door and keep them inside for the vacation. Google every horrible story you can find and print them out for your husband's reading pleasure so he will get on board with letting the cats in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If no one is there than no one will be annoyed by cats scratching to go out. Block the cat door and keep them inside for the vacation. Google every horrible story you can find and print them out for your husband's reading pleasure so he will get on board with letting the cats in.
Well I realize nobody will be there to be annoyed, but what I'm worried about is the state of the house upon our return. Will our furniture and the doors be all torn up with them trying ot get outside? Will they pee on the carpet because they are used to peeing outside? We went away for a week once and left the 3 we had at that time have access to outside and they were okay with the neighbor coming over every day.