Gofundme for Rupert's Surgery

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Rupert suffered a broken leg and is having surgery on Monday Feb. 15, 2021. I work minimum wage and the cost of the surgery ($1,000 est.) will take my entire paycheck + $400. I'm asking for financial help if you're able to, or even just kind words and encouragement if you can't. Here's the link to the Gofundme page. Thank you.
gf.me/u/zisz2s

Here is a picture of Rupert and his sister, Isla sitting in my bra 😂
IMG_20200915_234040.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awe. Poor Rupert :alright:. I saw on your gofundme that the break is pretty bad but you don't want to amputate. Is that what the Vet's are recommending? I also saw that you already have an amputee cat. Then you know that they do fine with it, especially when they are so young . I'm just thinking if that's what they recommend, and if you can't keep him calm for the next several weeks after the surgery, he may need an amputation anyway, right? (I'm just guessing because I have no idea just how bad it is, but if he's going to require pins, etc, I'm guessing he shouldn't be moving around on that leg while they set, etc. That's pretty hard with a cat, let alone with a kitten)

Anyway, did you apply for Care Credit? Since you ARE working, you might qualify. From what I know about it, it's interest free for things like this. Also, be sure to ask all your friends and family to help as well as posting here, on your Facebook page, etc. Have everyone you know post on their Facebook pages too.

Best of luck with the surgery tomorrow. Do keep us posted.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe. Poor Rupert :alright:. I saw on your gofundme that the break is pretty bad but you don't want to amputate. Is that what the Vet's are recommending? I also saw that you already have an amputee cat. Then you know that they do fine with it, especially when they are so young . I'm just thinking if that's what they recommend, and if you can't keep him calm for the next several weeks after the surgery, he may need an amputation anyway, right? (I'm just guessing because I have no idea just how bad it is, but if he's going to require pins, etc, I'm guessing he shouldn't be moving around on that leg while they set, etc. That's pretty hard with a cat, let alone with a kitten)

Anyway, did you apply for Care Credit? Since you ARE working, you might qualify. From what I know about it, it's interest free for things like this. Also, be sure to ask all your friends and family to help as well as posting here, on your Facebook page, etc. Have everyone you know post on their Facebook pages too.

Best of luck with the surgery tomorrow. Do keep us posted.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
I never spoke with the vet. A woman came out to my car, told me that it was a bad break and that the surgery would be around $1,000. I was already getting emotional and I didn't even want to hear the other options (amputation/euthanization) so I said "just do it". My next option, if I don't have the money by tomorrow, is asking about care credit. And if that doesn't work out, amputation. With my other cat and her amputation, she was actually shot in the chest. The bullet exited through her shoulder and shattered the scapula. Because her wound was infected and she was healing from both surgery and the gunshot, her recovery was actually horrible. It was months of drainage and her stitches opening back up twice. I think the hard recovery will be easier for him in the long run than living as an amputee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Rupert's operation was early Monday morning. By lunch, when I called, he was waking up and doing well. I exceeded my $400 goal on gofundme by $40!! I was able to pay for everything today ($1,129 in total) thanks to everyone that donated and shared. I brought him home just now and he's chilling in his cage where he will be for the next six weeks. Once again, this site has saved my cats thanks to the generosity of the people here. You all have infinite good karma 😂

Here's Rupert after he got home:
PXL_20210217_001051870.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for this update! I'm thrilled that he is home and doing well.