Goats Milk For Bottle Babies

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I have read a bunch of the threads talking about goats milk but no one really says how to use it. I have 3 bottle babies that are almost a week old. They are having a very hard time pooping. they are still pooping but they are coming out as little rocks and they are all straining to poop. I am currently feeding them powdered KMR. I read that the powder causes constipation. So i went to sprouts and bought some Goats Milk. Does it matter that it is pasteurized? should I mix with water or kmr? is it ok to give it to them this young? should I alternate with the kmr? is it ok to microwave for a few seconds to warm or should i warm with water? they are all gaining weight every day so far. I have only had them since Friday night.

Kevin, Kate, and Randall

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While a good quality raw, fresh goat's milk is ideal, I also use the powdered or the canned evaporated milk and I mix it into a "glop". I like the recipe at TCS member Hissy's site: www.kitten-rescue.com. I would blend the goat milk and the KMR to ensure that the babies are getting all their nutrition although I have had great success with just goat milk based glop. If you can find it, Esbilac makes a goat's milk based kmr. My rescue friends highly recommend the Miracle Nipple and I have found the best price at the supplier's website (I have not had occasion to use the nipple this past year but have donated some to out-of-state rescues). All of my bottle babies for the past 13 years have been from sick ferals and using goat milk made a huge difference in my success rate. In fact, for my FIV+ cats and elderly strays, I use the goat milk glop as a supplement and they handle it much better than whey based KMR.
Your bottle babies are adorable and I salute you for taking them on. It is a lot of worry and sleep deprivation at first but the rewards come quickly.
Feel free to PM any of us here. As a full time family caregiver, I am pretty much available 24/7 as are many of the others here. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thank you. I actually started with 4 but lost one right away. I just want to make sure these 3 make it. This is my first but hopefully not my last kitten foster. So my shelter is actually covering everything for them. Including the KMR i am just worried because they are all having trouble pooping.This just started today. i thought about alternating the goats milk just to help with constipation. They are still pooping it just seems like it is very hard for them. i saw the goats milk at sprouts and it was only 3.99 so i figured it was worth a try but it is pasteurized.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re them being somewhat constipated.
Be sure they have enough of fluids. So either give some drops of water between feedings, or dilute somewhat this goats milk.

Also a couple of some nice food oil with every bottle helps.
Coldpressed cocoa olive or rapesseed are best, but almost any will do.

Pasteurized goats milk is ok but avoid brands with low fat under 2.8 prcent fat.
The extras recommended by Catsknowsme are excellent.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i read about making the KMR more diluted for constipation and then i realized i actually was doing 1:3 instead of 1:2 ratio it recommends. i did try one round of goats milk mix 1:1 with water as well. to see if maybe it helps. i was going to alternate to see if they have some easier poops. they really scream when i eliminate them. i watch a few videos and those people looked way more rough then i am so i'm not sure if i am doing something wrong.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm....poor little things. Are their anal tissues irritated at all? sometimes people recommend using warmed baby wipes but even if unscented, the wipes have chemical preservatives. I use large, cotton makeup pads saturated in warm water. You can try a thin layer of coconut oil on their bottoms, in case their tissues are sore. Coconut oil will help lubricate the exit opening, too. And sometimes they just protest a lot at having to go, even when it's a mother cat licking them.
How are their little bellies feeling? You can gently palpitate their abdominal are, using your fingertips or thumb in small, slow circles to check for lumps. I have seen mother cats lick along the sides of their babies' lower bellies.
I like StephanZ's idea about adding a drop of oil to the formula. Rapeseed oil is the same as canola oil.
Don't be shy about showing us pictures of their bottoms and of the poops. This is TCS and we even have a "poop" smilie - LOL! :poop::lol:

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried about how round their bellys are getting. is this normal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also add a drop of simethicone to the bottle. Its good if they swallow too much air... so may help cant hurt. Its the same as for human babies, just less amount.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always give them 2-3 drops of coconut oil or a high grade mineral oil straight from a dropper every 3-4 hours until they start to poop. This solved my kittens constipation. I would also dab some on their anus to ease any swelling or pain.
As for the goats milk. My favorite formula is 1 part KMR (powdered) to 3 parts goats milk.