Glue In Cats Fur

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My fourteen week old kitten just got hold of a fly trap? I don't know ho but I'm definitely not getting anymore.

He was covered in glue and was absolutely terrified. I managed to get most of it out with some oil and natural soap but there is still some bothering him on his paws and on his chest where his hair is longest. I don't know what to do, I feel so terrible and I just want to cry.

Has anyone got any tips?

Should I just leave it to dry and grow out?

(As I'm writing this I gave him a treat and he has started purring and I wanna cry all over again but for happier reasons.)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a vet, but if it was my cat, I woild cut the contaminated fur off his chest so he doesnt lick it. I would trim the fur on his paws if there was glue on it and each day wash a bit more of the glue off his paws. If I saw him licking his paws and injesting glue, I would have to vigorously clean off the glue now. Call the company that made the fly trap, explain what happened and ask them the best way to clean his fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not a vet, but if it was my cat, I woild cut the contaminated fur off his chest so he doesnt lick it. I would trim the fur on his paws if there was glue on it and each day wash a bit more of the glue off his paws. If I saw him licking his paws and injesting glue, I would have to vigorously clean off the glue now. Call the company that made the fly trap, explain what happened and ask them the best way to clean his fur.
This morning his fur is dry and I noticed that what I thought was glue was just it being wet and now he's just a bit oily. I'm definitely going to try and clean his paws as they are still bothering him. I'm such a bad cat dad. I feel so bad.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not everything is within our control. Somethings we just simply dont think of.

Recently one of our cats dropped a roll of toilet paper in their water dish. Its a large dish and would last both cats several days. ...except the toilet paper absorbed all the water leaving nothing for the cats to drink. If we had been gone for a long period of time our boys would have been in trouble.....I never even thought of the paper being an issue.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Try Goo Gone on the glue mess that is left. I agree you should trim the hair from his chest.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Goo gone has petroleum products in it, I would definitely not use it on a cat. I would try bathing your cat with a cat shampoo to see if it will loosen or dissolve some of the residue.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they allergic to petroleum? I didn't realize. I just mentioned it because it worked for me when I had serious glue from crafting on my skin. After getting the glue off with goo gone, I would suggest a cat shampoo to get the goo gone off.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Dawn dishsoap? (regular not antibacterial) If it can clean off an oil spill from a bird, it should be able to handle some oily glue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are they allergic to petroleum? I didn't realize. I just mentioned it because it worked for me when I had serious glue from crafting on my skin. After getting the glue off with goo gone, I would suggest a cat shampoo to get the goo gone off.
What about Dawn dishsoap? (regular not antibacterial) If it can clean off an oil spill from a bird, it should be able to handle some oily glue.
The Dawn might work. I was also thinking about that old gum-in-hair remedy - peanut butter.
There isn't any glue left, the oil sorted that perfectly and most of the oil has gone now. I think I'm just concerned because he looks really scruffy.

He looks like he's been drying for the whole day even though he is dry, I guess it's impossible to get all the oil out and he's gonna be a little greasy for a while. I did try the uk dawn equivolent of Fairy which did nothing but distress him more as it's very difficult to wash it all out.

I think I'm just going to keep rubbing him with damp towels and then drying him every now and again. I've also been combing him which he has been loving so much.

His paws seem less of a problem, I don't think there was glue in them, I think they were just wet and he didn't like it.