Gizzards vs Giblets: Semantic Nit Picking...

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something occurred to me while I was reviewing some of the info on this wonderful board (making eggshell calcium this time around).

I see the word "gizzard" used a lot, but not "giblets".  I was under the impression that a gizzard is a specific organ, primarily muscle with some connective tissue.  Giblets is a broader, catch-all phrase that usually refers to the whole mess of liver, heart, kidneys...

I see the word gizzard used a lot - but now I'm confused as to what its referring to here on the board.

Comments?  Or is it not that important?  When I use 'gizzard' - I am referring to the specific organ - maybe that confuses some here?

Is it regional?

This website was pretty informative: http://www.thekitchn.com/what-are-giblets-65220

Apologies if I have ever confused anyone!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I say "gizzard" I'm referring to the specific organ.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think most of us when we say gizzard, we mean the actual chewy organ :)

Speaking of gizzards I bought some duck gizzards a couple days ago.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, specific organ here too. Sometimes they sell them here packaged with hearts under the label "giblets", but not when they're sold alone.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think sometimes when it's turkey time (Thanksgiving, Christmas) the wrapping on the turkey says "with giblets". That's how I remember what are giblets and what is a gizzard. From my understanding, gizzards, while counted as meat/protein, aren't as nutritious as some other cuts of the chicken. Though they are certainly useful in teaching a cat to chew and building her jaw muscles.