Gizzards And Stinky Poo

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pip has been enjoying her raw diet for about a year now. I definitely noticed that BMs changed from daily to every second day with little-to-no smell. YAY!

I started giving her gizzards to help with dental health. She loves to gnaw on them, but whenever I feed one, her BM gets pretty stinky. Why is that? Someone suggested that organ meat caused stinky poo--true?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aren't gizzards considered to be muscle meat, not organ meat? At least from a nutritional standpoint. They actually improve the smell of my cat's poo somewhat, but every cat is different. How fresh are your gizzards? They could be a bit old. Are the gizzards from a bird that you normally include in the diet? If it's a bird you don't normally use meat from, it may be irritating him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the gizzards from a bird that you normally include in the diet? If it's a bird you don't normally use meat from, it may be irritating him.
Aha! You may have hit on the answer prairiepanda!
Pip won't eat chicken or turkey raw - but she does love the gizzards! I guess since she eats only red meats, this bit of chicken is "foreign" to her gut.......