Giving your kitty kisses in front of other people....

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is your policy on this?  

As a guy, I do it but I pretend that I do not.  My kitty gets hugs & kisses from me but not in the presence of others.  I'm not quite so bold as some others.

So how bold are some of you?  Bold enough to smooch your kitty on the top of his/her head right there in front of the vet?  I might be appalled but I would understand.  Only in front of trusted friends and family?

I've often heard that you shouldn't give affection to your pets given some of their odd sniffing and licking practices, but IMO if you stick to the top of the head & nose bumping all is good.  I'm far more worried about contracting something from a restaurant than a fuzzy little pet of mine.  I wish all chefs kept their kitchens as clean as my kitty keeps his fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and when I make puckering kissy noises my kitty comes to me for cuddles.  I am a heterosexual just fyi.

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bear gets kissed by me all day long, and I don't care who sees. If someone thinks it's gross oh well, I can't resist his cuteness. He doesn't seem to mind either. His brother didn't like kisses as much though.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh how funny,  My kitties get their usual massive amounts of hugs and kisses in front of friends/guests/vets that I give them when there's no one around.  They're my kids!

Or were you asking for a male perspective on this?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

joe dimeowgio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was asking for anyone's perspective.  I don't think there are a lot of men on this site anyway, maybe I'm wrong.  Anyone watch the kitty bowl today?  I saw about 2 mins of it, don't really watch tv but I bet it was pretty funny.  The part I watched involved a kitten getting put on the bench for tailbiting.  Personally I thought the camera angle was bad and that the teeth didn't actually penetrate the fur and into the tailbone.  I would have challenged that one but fortunately the kitty looked tired and didn't appear too uncomfortable on the bench.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few men on this site, actually! I would give Oliver kisses in front of company, but whenever anyone he doesn't know shows up, he hides under the bed until they leave. 

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give all three of my cats kisses anywhere anytime! ..and whether they like it or not lol.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol - don't assume that homosexuals are the only ones that make puckering up kissy noises - as per your 2nd post.  You're still a man! 

I give him a smootch around others, not necessarily at the Vet though, because he and a technician are usually busy holding him. They don't want my head bobbing in for a smootch. Besides, I may accidentally kiss the tech. by mistake...oops! 

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As a guy, I do it but I pretend that I do not.  
I do it and don't try to hide it. It takes a real man to show love to a helpless creature. I have a kitty voice that I use. It's a high-pitched whisper-tone combination. No one so far has directly given me grief about it. If they do, they are not welcome in my home.

Ever seen British Special Forces crying their hearts out when they say goodbye to their beloved pets? 

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give all three of my cats kisses anywhere anytime! ..and whether they like it or not lol.
LOL! I do the same. I don't care if they want/like my kisses, I give them anyway! I can't help it - they're so smoochable! 3 of mine get pilled every night, so after they get their meds and I'm still holding them by the scruff, I give them big smacks on the side of their face (like getting pilled isn't bad enough!)

The top of their head, the tops of their paws, their sides, neck...doesn't matter. If I can, I'll kiss it! Never just one kiss either, always 5 or more with big smacky noises. I love when they look annoyed at all the love they're getting. I don't care who sees it. If I can, I'll give them kisses before the vet tech takes them.

The only time I won't kiss them is if they JUST got out of the litter box, or they JUST threw up. Or, if I just saw them lick their butt (or another cat's butt). I'll give them time to clean up, THEN attack them with kisses! :-)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh and when I make puckering kissy noises my kitty comes to me for cuddles.  I am a heterosexual just fyi.
LOLLL my cats get excited when i make this noise! they initially think its for food. but once they realize there is no food involved...usually one of my cats will fall back and only one remains for cuddles and kisses and hugs and pets. 

i show my kitties love all the time no matter who's watching!

the only thing i refrain from doing in front of others is my kitty voice. lol. no one needs to hear that. that's only for my kitties and me. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The top of their head, the tops of their paws, their sides, neck...doesn't matter. If I can, I'll kiss it! Never just one kiss either, always 5 or more with big smacky noises. I love when they look annoyed at all the love they're getting. I don't care who sees it. If I can, I'll give them kisses before the vet tech takes them.
that "look" just makes me want to kiss them even more!!!!

here i am kissing their noses, and Charlie's looking at me like "unhand me woman!"

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just love that disgusted look they give you after a kiss! My husband always holds them up for me to kiss, and then just roars with laughter when they almost bend in two trying to get away from my kisses! He always says he doesn't blame them, should I be insulted?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I just love that disgusted look they give you after a kiss! My husband always holds them up for me to kiss, and then just roars with laughter when they almost bend in two trying to get away from my kisses! He always says he doesn't blame them, should I be insulted?
you should kick your husband's butt!!

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

you should kick your husband's butt!!
LOL!! I read this wrong the first time. I thought you said "you should KISS your husband's butt!"

Well, we ARE talking about kissing....but I don't want to know about that kind

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was looking for a post asking if fur parents kissed their kitties because, I never expected to say that I do!

Where? On the top of their cute little heads. I also cradle them in my arms (on their backs) and touch noses. Neither of them seem enthusiastic with this, but they tolerate it. Sometimes I even rub my nose against their cheeks (imitating their scenting, but with my nose).

Am I a weird cat daddy?

(I draw the line at facial contact with their bellies - I will catch them laying in the litter box sometimes, sorry, ewwwww.)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes.... We ALL give them smooches and hugs and cuddles and bell hand rubs. YES, even my husband does. And both od my sons and of course my daughter and I. Lol

Currently the dog is letting Walter cuddle up to him. Of course it is because I was smoochin on Walter and Louie the dog gets jealous ;)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i kiss my babies on the top of their heads and on their neck. one my girl Jet she'll lay back and let me kiss her everywhere! although i don't...

my bf never kisses my cats in front of me!!! but i have seen him do it when he thought i wasn't around. hahahahaha

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing my boyfriend does whenever he comes home is scoop Mo up to cradle him, then holds him right up against his face. Not sure if he does actual kisses or not, but definite hardcore snuggles. It's a better greeting than I ever get! Not sure if he does this around regular friends, or just people closer to him.

Kismet doesn't really like being held or feeling too close or claustrophobic (like with people's arms around her). I usually give her a kiss on the shoulder when I'm holding her upright, but that's about it. She doesn't seem to resist it, but I doubt she loves it either.

I kiss my birds whenever I can, regardless of who's around. I like touching my nose to their little beaks too. One of my birds is really affectionate, so even at the vet, when she's perched on my finger, I nuzzle my nose into her nape/belly and give kisses. She likes to "groom/preen" me back, so I get nose kisses.

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The first thing my boyfriend does whenever he comes home is scoop Mo up to cradle him, then holds him right up against his face. Not sure if he does actual kisses or not, but definite hardcore snuggles. It's a better greeting than I ever get! 
this breaks my heart.

because i feel your pain. 

when my bf comes home, he  always scoops Charlie up and they have this bro moment. like charlie is staring at my bf right in the face and my bf does the same to him and they just look at each other while the bf is scratching the back of Charlie's head...all the while Charlie is purring like crazy and loud...and i'm just sitting there like..."oh hi...i'm the human who fed the cat and will most likely cook you dinner in a min...no need to acknowledge me though"