Giving pumpkin to kitties eating NV Raw

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties are eating about 75% raw now.  When I got them from the shelter a few months ago, they both had giardia, URI, and one had worms. After deworming, clavamox, and 3 rounds of meds for the giardia, they continued to have loose, bloody stools. UNTIL I got them on raw.  Poops are so much better now!!!!  Smaller, firmer, and less frequent, no blood, I am so happy!  My question is this:  I'm using Nature's Variety because it's available locally to me,  it's the most reasonable cost-wise, and so far my kitties love the beef, chicken, and duck.  But I'm sort of concerned about the bone content of it-- I don't want them to go too far the other way and get constipated! They love canned pumpkin, what do you think of giving them some regularly to kind of "offset" the effects of the high bone content?

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Krysta:

The little I know about NV is that some people will pick out some of the bone, mostly out of concern of the sharp ones.  Some cats do become constipated, but not all.  Here is one thread where you can find mention of it, hit control-F to search for constipated:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247649/ziwipeak-canned-vs-natures-variety-raw

What LDG (and other folks using NV) did was add more plain meat to the diet, because while pumpkin will soften stool, it doesn't do anything to help a correct calcium-to-phosphorus ratio.

Hey, you NV-feeders, HALP!  If her kitties don't become constipated is it fine to use NV as-is, or should Krysta be adding some boneless meat regardless?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I actually saw on another forum where Auntie Crazy had suggested adding a few bites of plain meat to "thin out" the bone, so I may do that.  I also have Primal available locally but the non-fish varieties are a little more expensive than N.V.  I did buy a trial pack of Primal, but they seem to like the N.V. better.  I also may try some Hare Today, the prices and shipping seem reasonable.

Last edited:

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello

I am new to raw feeding, and I have been feeding my cat NV primarily along with another brand called Carnivora (Canadian product). My cat had diarrhea chronically and the raw food has seemed to clear that right up.
I was also concerned with the high bone content that is in the NV brand, and being such a noobie at feeding raw I am a bit intimidated with feeding any supermarket meats.
I did do some research and actually was given a link from this site to some Canadian raw pet food suppliers which is how I came across the Carnivora brand. Maybe some one can post a link of raw pet food companies in your area/country.

I have noticed over the last month of feeding NV raw, that my cats poop is much smaller in quantity and actually very firm and crumbles when squishes. (I know its weird to squish cat poop but I had to know lol)
She has not been constipated yet, but I was also adding pumpkin to the diet but did not notice any change in the bowel movements.

I would suggest that you add another raw brand in rotation with the NV if you are concerned. I started adding Carnivora's brand Offal and chicken. Offal is great because it has very low bone content at 0.02%. Actually I ended up giving a little too much and she passed a rather squishy poop that was not expected.
The bone content was really thinned out on the offal. She was a little put off with the offal it has quite a smell to it, and it is all organ meat. She did eat it though after I put a treat on it. She isn't that picky though...

So in conclusion, if you are concerned with the NV brand, try adding another brand along with the NV. Or if you are not intimidated like me try adding some meaty meat to your kitty (of course following safe practices). There is no harm adding the pumpkin, but it may not help in the end. You could wait things out and see if your cat does have any issues on this brand, some folks do feed NV exclusively and have no issues. I suppose it is an individual thing for cats.

Good luck with the diet. So far for me there has been nothing but good to report! No problems since the switch and I have one happy kitty!

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Oakshimmer! Yeah, I have been exploring my options with other brands.  I'll probably keep feeding the N.V., just in rotation with another brand or thinned out with plain meat.  The shipping costs kinda hold me back from ordering some of the brands, when I don't know if they'll like them or not.  I think my local pet store will order me just about anything, though, so I may have to check with them how much it'd be for Rad Cat, I'd really like to try that.  In stock, they have LOTS of N.V., the Bravo chubs that are not "complete",  Primal,  and they have the Stella and Chewy's frozen raw that says it's for dogs.  I have an email in to S & C about that one, I've read that it's got taurine and is ok for cats but I want to be sure.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, a number of us already checked with S&C about the frozen dog food. :nod: You can feed it to cats, it's got enough taurine. :clap: But always best to check yourself for comfort level. :nod:

S&C has freeze dried food for cats, but no frozen. The difference between the S&C FD for cats and the frozen raw dog food is that the dog food has 95% meat/bones/organs and 5% "other stuff," just like NV, but it does have a lower bone content than NV, so the frozen S&C raw dog food would be great in rotation - and if they like the NV, they'll most likely enjoy the Stella & Chewy's! Mine liked the S&C frozen raw lamb. :nod:

I have 8 cats; two became uncomfortable constipated when eating NV almost exclusively. So the bone content definitely is not too high for all cats, but it can be an issue. I did offset the NV by adding in a meal here and there of just plain meat that I bought at the supermarket. I was nervous about feeding it at first - it seemed so weird to just go my chicken, do nothing with it other than cut it up and stick it in bowls. :lol3: But they loved it - being already transitioned to raw at that point. Now - if you don't want to get "stuck" feeding whole prey model raw, you may just want to add some meat to the NV meals. I made the "mistake" of feeding them meals of just meat. And then three of them decided they didn't want ground food any longer.

I tried the Hare Today then, because it has no veggies or other stuff in it. They do like the ground rabbit and pork, but they didn't like anything else (but bear in mind they stopped eating the NV ground that they loved just a few days before :doh3: ) - they wanted chunks. :rolleyes: That's the only reason I wound up feeding my weird boneless version of prey model raw, but I still include Hare Today boneless rabbit and pork in their menus, since they do eat that (and I source other stuff from HT now).

If the HT shipping isn't prohibitive for you, I'd recommend buying a "sampler" of one pound chubs of various meats - chicken, turkey, rabbit, pork, whatever. Shipping is a lot when you don't order much - but it makes no sense to order "stock up" amounts if you don't know if they like it. It is TOTALLY different than NV or S&C or Primal. It is very much like Rad Cat - only it's just ground whole animal. VERY fresh, juicy meat.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, a number of us already checked with S&C about the frozen dog food.
You can feed it to cats, it's got enough taurine.
But always best to check yourself for comfort level.

S&C has freeze dried food for cats, but no frozen. The difference between the S&C FD for cats and the frozen raw dog food is that the dog food has 95% meat/bones/organs and 5% "other stuff," just like NV, but it does have a lower bone content than NV, so the frozen S&C raw dog food would be great in rotation - and if they like the NV, they'll most likely enjoy the Stella & Chewy's! Mine liked the S&C frozen raw lamb.

The people at the store where I get my food told me I could use the frozen dog food as well, and I was wondering...thanks for that info. 

Congratulations Krysta
 I'm a recent convert as well!

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For dinner they had N.V. beef "cut" with a can of Evanger's buffalo I had that is just meat & liver, not balanced. They ate around the evanger's at first and only ate it as a last resort when all the raw was gone!
I was nervous about feeding it at first - it seemed so weird to just go my chicken, do nothing with it other than cut it up and stick it in bowls. 
  I feel this way right now-- I think I may start w/ a little steak, since I have no problem eating that very rare myself! And I'm definitely gonna try some Stella and Chewy's.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: You've got some CARNIVORES on your hands now! ;) But what a great idea! :clap:

My suggestion? Start small with the steak. Some cats don't handle red meat well right off the bat. Don't ask me why, I don't know. :dk: But yeah - raw challenges us on a lot of fronts. :lol3: I got over my fear by thinking of our feral cats - they're out there eating goodness-knows-what - and the worst I've ever seen is giardia - and THAT they don't even get from whatever they're hunting, they get it from what puddle they're drinking out of. :rolleyes: And all of it is treatable - so just keep that in mind. It may help you cut up that chicken thigh to add to the NV! Because your kitties will most likely love it. :D

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They eat the NV beef and seem to do ok....in fact, cross my fingers, they've never seemed to have any issues with any protein I've tried. And giardia- been there! They both had it when I got them from the shelter, and after 3 rounds of meds STILL had runny, bloody poop. Tried everything the vet suggested to no avail. They also had uri, ringworm, and one had tape and roundworms. Since they've been eating raw, they've had great poop. It's the only thing that helped. I think their poor little immune systems and digestive tracts were just sooo screwed up, and the raw has really let them recover!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww........... :heart2: Wow, yeah, I guess we've been lucky with treating giardia!

And if they're eating the NV beef no problem, I expect you're right. :)

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stella and Chewy's finally emailed me back, and said that it is ok to feed the frozen food to cats, but that it is not complete and balanced for them, so it should only be used in conjunction with other complete and balanced foods.  They would not tell me the bone content of the food, said that it is "proprietary" information.  But the calcium and phosphorous levels for S&C are higher than for N.V., which makes me wonder.....that almost makes it seem like they have MORE bone, but surely that can't be!  

For dinner I gave them the last of a sample pack of Primal I had bought.  It was chicken and salmon.  They ate it reluctantly.  They haven't seemed too thrilled with any of the Primal flavors.  They LOVE N.V., though---duck, chicken, and beef.  Wouldn't eat the venison too well. Haven't tried any other flavors yet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, mine didn't like Primal, period. The ferals ended up eating it. :rolleyes:

Interesting on the frozen raw dog food, that's the first time I've heard that. When AC called them, they told her they target 7% - 9% bone. Wonder why they don't share that info any longer? :scratch: