Giving foster cat a new home

caro90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I became a foster dad for a cute cat for few months. I've been keeping him for awhile because I wanted to MAKE SURE he goes to a very good home with owner that could keep him forever (he had several (idiotic) owners who decided to adopt him then refuse to keep him). Fortunately, I've found a potential fabulous new owner.

I'd want to know, what is your recommendation for me to make transition as smooth as possible? This cat has bonded with me and always follows me around the house, so I can imagine he'll get stressed out and miss me so much. (I'll miss him so much too) 

I'm thinking about staying in that new owner's town for a bit, visit the day after I drop off. I'll give him my old shirt/cloth with my scent, his favorite toy. What else should I do? Should I visit the cat a month later or so? (I'm worried that if I visit, he'll think I'm there to take him back.)

Thanks!

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How sweet that little cat is! He is finally happy having someone who cares about him. How come you can't keep him forever?        I don't know what your situation is, but seems like he gets along with you, and possibly any other cats in your home. I know they call it a failed foster, but I think those are the best!    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caro90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long explanation below why I can't adopt that foster cat.

I really wish, but I am not financially prepared to have a 3rd cat. (I can feed all of them but I cannot take that foster cat to vet and other obligations) What happened was that I moved into this house and an old roomate was fostering that cat, but that roomate wasn't really doing a great job with searching for a new owner. Then suddenly she moved out, and she asked if I could foster zorro, and if I can't, she'll put that cat into the shelter. Of course I refused to let that happen, so that's how I took up the fostering.

Right now I am still in my 20s, and I have not fully settled down, and my career has just begun. I am also single. 2 cats is enough for me, as I can easily find apartments that will accept cats (a lot of apartments (that fits my budget) only accept 2 cats or less), and if a cat has medical emergency, I can afford, but I cannot with 3rd cat. 

It sucks, that cat does get along with my 2 other cats just fine and is a sweetheart. I spent long time agonizing over this decision. But it would not be fair to all 3 cats if I cannot financially support them for them to be healthy and happy cats. If I am older, in a better place with $, etc., I'd gladly keep that 3rd cat. 

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think what you are doing is wonderful!  Not knowing the situation at the new home for Zorro, I can't say which is the best way to proceed as I don't know if they have other cats, a dog, both, kids, etc.  I would suggest you do a google search with terms such as:

rehoming a cat

rehoming a cat tips

rehoming a cat advice

rehoming a cat with a dog

In all cases, if there are any other pets in the house, the transition needs to be done gradually.  If there are other cats, dogs or both in the house, the cat needs to stay in a room by itself where it can smell and be smelled by the other pets there.  If there are small children, or other noisy situations, Zorro will adapt better if he can hear the sounds and get used to them over time while in a safe place. 

I don't recommend visiting after a month.  Animals live in the moment and you might only stress him.

Newt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caro90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!