Giving Cats Milk

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The milk here is pasteurized and homogenized, and the same is probably true of the milk where you live. So, are there different ways of pasteurizing and homogenizing? Just wondering.
You are probably right about that. I still wonder if it could have some beneficial effect to keep them lactose tolerant by giving them some cow milk regularly from an early age. I don't really expect a scientific answer to that question in this thread, though. Good night.
Cats are born with the lactase enzyme, but they lose it when they are weaned.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are born with the lactase enzyme, but they lose it when they are weaned.
I am aware of that. I just wonder out loud whether giving them milk could have some beneficial effect beyond keeping them lactose tolerant. Tolerance of various irritants seems to be a good thing in many contexts. Just wondering out loud.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I am aware of that. I just wonder out loud whether giving them milk could have some beneficial effect beyond keeping them lactose tolerant. Tolerance of various irritants seems to be a good thing in many contexts. Just wondering out loud.
That's about as scientific as I could get in that answer, lol. You do bring up an interesting question, though. I know that in humans, lactose intolerance is actually the default. In western culture, with the domestication of dairy cattle, the mutation of non-lactose intolerance became advantageous, which is why most westerners are able to ingest lactose. In contrast, those of eastern descent are more often lactose intolerant, as dairy wasn't a part of the eastern diet as it was in the west.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Being lactose intolerant myself after 25 years of no issues with dairy and eating it on a daily basis, I can tell you it's not fun!

More anecdotes!

Part of my routine when we were younger was to let Jasmine lick the leftover milk from my cereal bowl in the morning. We did this for a decade until she became lactose intolerant, and oddly enough I showed signs myself within a few years.

So, feeding it daily didn't keep either of us from being intolerant.

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adult cat do not need milk even if we give them occasionally? I used to give my cats Zeal milk from new zealand, zero lactose, I wonder anyone here using Zeal product? Is it fine?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Once they have lost the enzyme and are wiened there is no way to add it back and keep them from having an issue with milk. There's no benefit.

My mother fed my male cat milk. She too had grown up when it came straight from a cow. Now let me be very clear it can get very ugly just like a lactose intolerant person downing a bunch of milk. The vomiting and the runs the cat had changed her mind about ever doing it again.

There's no benefit for a cat to drink milk. They get calcium from their food. There is a possibility of an issue with vitamin d in milk. Too much vitamin d can become toxic in a cat.

Is Feeding Cats Milk Safe or a Bad Idea?

The true question is why do we feel the need to give them treats, milk and other things? To show we love them? In reality a happy cat gets good wholesome meat food (they don't need a run through the garden), playtime and attention. Buying a cat milk is really a poor replacement. I know the industry has tried really hard to make us feel like we aren't good pet parents if we don't give treats and a bunch of other useless things. But attention, wholesome quality meat food and love go a lot farther.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering about this. I got some lactose free milk from Walmart and it tastes really good. I was wondering if I could give some to the cats. But I agree that the Calcium and Vitamin D could possibly be harmful.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no benefit to giving a cat milk. If you want to treat them give them some freeze dried meats (shrimp, chicken, tuna flakes). Or throw some soup bones in a crockpot for 24hours and let them drink the bone broth (you too for the collagen and minerals). But, biologically speaking, there is no reason for any creature to drink milk after they are weaned. Even for humans spinach or kale will give you calcium without the lactose.

Last edited:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am lactose intolerant, so the only milk I have in the house is lactose free - like Lactaid. This I can and do on rare occasions set down a bit of milk for my cats. Lactaid is actually what is in those cat milk cartons sold in pet stores -- at a MUCH higher price! I only give it 2 or 3 times a year, just a small amount maybe 1/4 cup and that's for 7 cats. Just for fun, I laugh at the milk mustaches! Note I have several black faced kitties.

As others have said, cats do not need milk. And no regular cow milk, it will upset the tum, and enough of it gives them diarrhea.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no benefit to giving a cat milk. If you want to treat them give them some freeze dried meats (shrimp, chicken, tuna flakes). Or throw some soup bones in a crockpot for 24hours and let them drink the bone broth (you too for the collagen and minerals). But, biologically speaking, there is no reason for any creature to drink milk after they are weaned. Even for humans spinach or kale will give you calcium without the lactose.
Kinda off topic but a bone broth also makes a tasty soup if you add noodles and veggies.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kinda off topic but a bone broth also makes a tasty soup if you add noodles and veggies.
I have a pot simmering today for bone broth (with veggies and herbs for my version). We are going to use it as the liquid to cook a beef brisket later this week.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I never give in to my cats begging. I don't want them bugging people at the table or stealing food.
We never have that problem. They actually have a begging spot. It's where treats are distributed. I would never allow my pets to think table trolling was an acceptable activity. Begging here involves sitting on their spot with a hopeful look. It's not always sucesseful.