Giving Both Cerenia And Famotidine : A The Same Time?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Quick question. I've been giving Oscar Cerenia and Famotidine, both at the same time. My logic is if I give it to him in a pill pocket and make him swallow the pills once, it would be less stressful than doing the same process twice. I've been doing this for weeks now and I don't see any bad reaction, but I'm not sure if it's recommended? My vet isn't in until Tuesday, so I have to wait for her to call me back.

I would appreciate any and all info! :)

Thank you!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I don't recall ever hearing about not giving them together....

I just reviewed the section of 'Tanya's Oracle' that deals with treatments for nausea and vomiting, specifically famotidine and Cerenia, and I did not see any cautions around combining them.

Here's that part of her site: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Appetite Loss, Nausea and Vomiting

mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens has a lot of experience with kidney cats...perhaps she will drop by.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much for the info. Is definitely not easy dealing with all of the issues a stage 4 kidney failure cat has. So we want to make him as comfortable as possible <3

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I HAVE dealt with three kidney cats (hopefully no more in the future!), but I never had to give any of them Cerenia, so I don't know any more than what I would get from the site white shadow white shadow referenced above, which was my "go to" for anything kidney related.

One little hint I can give you though, if your Vet for some reason tells you to give them separately, is that we always gave our girl her famotidine via injection vs pill form. It was SO much easier on all of us. She was impossible to pill, even for the Vet Techs, so we did all of her meds either as injectables or transdermal gels. We'd just start petting her and then when she got really into it give her a quick jab or a quick ear rub and be done with it :)